FOIA Request on MP40

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has experience with Freedom of Information Act requests on NFA guns. I have an MP40 that has two serial numbers, one is the original German World War Two number and the other is an IRS #. The IRS number is on the endcap and on the receiver. Where would I send my request? How long does it usually take? I have heard that it can sometimes take years. Is the information worth getting as I have heard most of the original form is redacted? Thanks for any and all help, Haenelistklasse

ive done it on all my older NFA guns...can take 2-5 months...sometimes gives you good info....most of the time blah....in your case it may be interesting

in the case of my Thompson it proved my S1928 was a commercial savage.....possibly adding value to it

if your lucky they are sloppy and miss blocking out some info

FOIA can provide a lot of valuable information. Information about the original registration form and date can confirm C+R staus or, conversely, prove that the weapon is not C+R eligible. Also, the original form will reveal if the gun is a bringback, a post war import, or other type of original registration. All personal information is redacted, meaning any names, addresses, business, etc.

The date of your IRS registration will be interesting, and that is the controlling number. You wIll have copies of all transfers, form numbers and dates from original registration up to yours. There can be a lot of different forms used to move an MG around, to repair it, etc, etc.

By all means, file an FOIA. You will be glad you did.