Colt Blish--Is this authentic?

The font and arrow look correct. The arrow point is slightly different on the Colt Blish locks as opposed to the Savage and AOC locks. Id say it is a Colt Blish lock.

As far as price, it depends on if someone really needs a Colt Blish lock to complete a bolt assembly. They all work the same and should be interchangeable. It should be worth a premium to a Colt Thompson collector.

Edited by gijive

I cannot find the post that I did before and have since deleted the file. Here are a few different photos of a colt, an aoc and three Savages. If better photos are needed of individuals, I can do it with a different camera for better detail. Hope these help.

20180224_085301.jpg

20180224_085322.jpg

20180224_085316.jpg

• Upvote 1

Can someone tell me if this is an authentic Colt Thompson Blish lock? There are no markings on either end indicating that it would be auto ordinance or savage. If it is a Colt, what would the value be?

]post-261474-0-07000600-1519435779_thumb.

Savage in the photo.

The horizontal lines of the Savage P are longer than the Colt. The AOC P is nearly identical to the Colt.

The vertical lines of the U and P are parallel in the Savage; the colt U has slightly tapered lines, wider at the top.

The Colt arrow tip is an exact inverted V over a straight line, the savage arrow tip is more of a triangle sitting on the line.

The AOC arrow tip is much narrower than the others.

• Upvote 1

Sharpshooter2015 et al,

Upon further review of some Blish locks I have in my collection, I have to retract my earlier statement and agree with mnshooter. The font and arrow look more like the Savage example I have shown below. If the sides of the Blish lock truly do not have the Savage S, it may have been buffed off. As PK requested, please post pictures of the sides of the lock. I guess I should have checked the Blish locks I have before making the previous statement.

Questioned Blish.jpg Savage Blish.jpg Savage-1.jpg

Questioned Savage Savage

AOC-1.jpg AOC-2.jpg AOC-3.jpg

AOC AOC AOC

Colt-1.jpg Colt-2.jpg Colt-2a.jpg

Colt Colt Colt

Colt-3.jpg Colt-4.jpg Colt-5.jpg

Colt Colt Colt

Edited by gijive
  • Upvote 1

Hello All. Thank you for your expertise, especially to gijive, PK, TD, Sandman1957, ppgcowboy, ArthurFliegenheimer, and mnshooter. This is a great brotherhood of friends helping friends. I was looking to purchase this to make my 21 complete. If anyone has one they are willing to part with, please reach out to me. I appreciate all your feedback. Someone asked for additional photos. They are attached below. Thanks in advance.

post-261474-0-57020700-1519582104_thumb.jpg

Sharpshooter2015,

Thanks for the extra photos, I don't know what to tell you on the pictured Blish lock? The font and arrow appear similar to the Savage lock, but the ears don't appear to have been ground or buffed. Maybe it is a Savage lock that escaped being stamped with an "S"? If the price is right, you might want to consider it. I don't know if you would ever be able to prove if it is a genuine Colt Blish lock or not. If the price is the same as the Savage locks usually found for sale on eBay and Gunbroker, why not get it? I don't believe anyone would be able to tell the difference and if it is a Savage unmarked lock, it is somewhat of a rarity. If the price is way over the going price for a WWII lock, then I certainly wouldn't pay a premium for it. Maybe an in-person inspection by someone with a machining background (like PK) could tell you if the lock has been altered to remove the contractor stamp? Good luck.

Just to complicate matters a bit, I just found a Blish lock listed on GunBroker that is marked AOC and has a slightly different arrowhead and shaft than the previous AOC examples shown. There may have been changes made during the production of the locks, depending on the particular lot or order of parts. Maybe there are other variations, as well?

pix886767539.jpg

Gunbroker item # https://www.gunbroker.com/item/750900995

Edited by gijive

I also have a couple of what should be Savage locks, with no S stamped on the sides. They came from kits; for what that might matter.

It makes no sense why the sides would be ground or filed without some reason.

My best guess is that some just needed it to meet the gauges at the time of manufacture, and they weren't about to throw out the lot.

Edited by mnshooter

• 4 weeks later...