im looking for the most reliable way to keep my extractor from popping out on my west hurley 28. I have a new USGI extractor to replace the old one ,but after all these years im sure the t slot has become loose. I don't want to pin it .. ive read where you can stake them where is the best place to do this? I have a new complete bolt ordered and just waiting for it to arrive. I took the bolt out of my tm1 I bought last year and dropped it in my west hurley just to see how it would do and boy howdy did it run smooth. btw my west hurley has a 3 digit serial number .. thanks for any information

peter

This usually happens because the extractor has become worn or bent and is easily pulled forward, past the locking shoulder. When mounting a NOS GI extractor, be careful not to lever it past what it takes to seat it in its slot.

im going to try this tomorrow. just a center punch? did you ever figure out why it popped out? I cant find a scratch or ding anywhere on the extractor or channel it runs in. 5 shots and its out. I can tap it back it easily enough then it pops again. when I put the bolt from my newer tm1 in it ran an entire drum and two 20 round mags like a champ. maybe after 43 years its time for the new bolt. I bought one from khar on line and they said they were back ordered. guess ill just have to wait

im going to try this tomorrow. just a center punch? did you ever figure out why it popped out? I cant find a scratch or ding anywhere on the extractor or channel it runs in. 5 shots and its out. I can tap it back it easily enough then it pops again. when I put the bolt from my newer tm1 in it ran an entire drum and two 20 round mags like a champ. maybe after 43 years its time for the new bolt. I bought one from khar on line and they said they were back ordered. guess ill just have to wait

Yes I just used a center punch ... I think the extractors pop out due to misfeeds mostly ... Sometimes they jam up in the bolt and can be a bear to dislodge as you cannot take the gun apart with it stuck in there.

• 3 weeks later...