My New Gun!

After a few months of looking and learning, I've sent off the $$$ for a Savage M1928A1! The gun is described as being 95% (almost certainly refinished), matching U/L serial numbers, finned barrel, Cutts, Lyman leaf sight, and excellent wood. S/N S-334xxx. I'm buying the gun sight unseen but it is coming from a very reputable dealer with a money back guarantee.

Based on my studying of American Thunder, I would surmise this gun is the last of what Frank describes as the "early production" series of M1928A1s. I would place it's date of production somewhere around January, 1942 as Frank notes they started installing the unshrouded Lyman "L" sight in February, 1942 with gun #400,000 (approximately).

All the primary attributes seem correct for this S/N. I don't know the details of the buttstock but it should not have the reinforcing bolt if it is the original wood. I'm also guessing this gun should have a horizontal foregrip as well as a checkered actuator. The levers may or may not be checkered.

The sellers notes there are several inspector marks but I don't know the details. For me I guess the key marks to look for would be foreign inspection marks which would designate this as a Lend-Lease gun. I actually hope there are NOT any foreign marks as I want a gun that was in the US arsenal.

Do yall agree with the basic conlusions I've outlined above? Can you offer any specific things I should look for when I get the chance to see the gun in the flesh? TIA!

Wonderful Kyle; My paperwork went to ATF Thanksgiving week, and nothing yet,,,,,,,,,,I really wonder how many clinton appointees still exist at the lower levels of govt organizations ? ...........jw