WTK resale value for Merle 22 conversion

WTK resale value for Merle 22 conversion

This kit is in the wood case with parts for the M1 and 28 the barrel was relieved by PK with a trail so the barrel slides right by the ejector has a threaded adapter as well

Two drum mags black dog and eight black dog mags

The kit is complete bought new from Glenn W

Thanks Joe

At this point probably priceless. Should be able to get at least what you paid for it now. I am glad I have one and in hind sight wish I got a spare barrel, now I am afraid of wearing the one I have out or having something happen to it. I do know someone that would be interested in the kit if you decide to sell it as well, they are a member here too.

I have an early Blackdog/Merle Kit in a black Delrin box with machined slots for the various parts, I seem to remember it was in the $500 ballpark range. I talked to Merle at a TATA Show and Shoot. I sent it to Merle to have his upgrades done...a few thousands off the bolt bottom, modification to allow barrel installation without ejector removal and upgrade to his heavy duty ejector. Merle also modified the follower in the Blackdog LLC magazines. Those modifications were another $100 or so. Box magazines and drum magazines Blackdog LLC and puma drums were all extra money. Merle spines on his drum conversion are absolutely the best.

Someone could call Merle and ask what his last .22 kit price. I am glad I got mine when I did and it not for sale.

I want to say it was around $600 from BlackDog when I bought mine, but same I do not recall and bought a ton of mags at the same time.

Regardless your pricing is likely more than that and certainly more than an off the shelf Ciener which you may or may not ever receive. I want to say one sold for maybe $800 some time back?

Ron

FWIW, it is my understanding that Mr. Ciener himself is retired and no longer is directly involved in the day to day operations of the company that he founded. I've bought M16 .22LR conversion related items from the JAC company a couple times in the last year and received the items promptly.

MHO, YMMV, etc.

Ciener told me in December at the SAR show that he was done with 22 conversions and his machinery is basically wore out. i bought a 22 kit from Merle receipt dated Oct. 2013 for $520 with two mags.

Thats why I am looking for a resale price I dont remember what I paid for it as I bought two at the same time

Divide by 2?

PK tuned mine and set it up to use steel 30 round Bingham magazines. It has always run like a top. I can get 1200 - 1500 rounds fired before I need to clean anything.

SN150715.jpg

SN150716.jpg

SN150718.jpg

SN150720.jpg

SN150722.jpg

I keep five magazines in an original canvas Pederson Device magazine carrier. It's a perfect fit.

The value of the kit - Priceless! The best add on I could every buy for my Thompson. Just looked mine up, I paid Merle $675 shipped in 2011. My kit was in the black Delrin box, six magazine (2 plus four extra) and I had the slot milled in so I don't need to remove the extractor. It came with all the parts for both the 28 and M-1 shooting. Can't remember if this was an extra cost. (Find my invoice). So I would say the kit with 2 mags, and the milled slot should be valued at a starting price of $600, and would still be fair at $750 shipped, depending on the number of mags. I think I have ten mags now.

I am interested if you decide to sell it. I am assuming it will work in a 21.

Brad

With the .45 bolt and recoil spring assemblies removed, the 21 and 28 are precisely identical.

So, yes, the kits work perfectly in both.

Also works fine in the M1, if you bought the complete kit, with the M1 cocking knob and muzzle nut.

Biggest difference in firing:

The Merle kits have a steel plate on the aluminum bolt bottom to slow the ROF to about normal .45 speed.

This also means the sear notch will hold up about forever (which is also approximately how long a .22RF barrel will last).

EDIT: See post no. 20 below. Not all sear notches...

The jac bolts don't have this plate, and fire at a much higher rate, often over 1000 RPM.

Merle's told me his first venture into .22 conversions actually started with just adding the plates to jac bolts.

Edited by mnshooter

The value of the kit - Priceless! The best add on I could every buy for my Thompson. Just looked mine up, I paid Merle $675 shipped in 2011. My kit was in the black Delrin box, six magazine (2 plus four extra) and I had the slot milled in so I don't need to remove the extractor. It came with all the parts for both the 28 and M-1 shooting. Can't remember if this was an extra cost. (Find my invoice). So I would say the kit with 2 mags, and the milled slot should be valued at a starting price of $600, and would still be fair at $750 shipped, depending on the number of mags. I think I have ten mags now.

If you're offering to sell yours right now, with the ten mags, for $750 shipped, that sounds like a fine estimate.

I can't remember either, but he did the mod for me. Have the kit for the M1 and 1928 and the extended adapters for a can.
Will keep my kit until the end of times :-)

Hi Joe,

I still have the letter I sent to Merle back in 2012 when he was making the kits with the oak lower box, clear plastic lid. These kits are later than the black plastic lower box kits. I bought 3 kits w/20 additional magazines and an M1 supressor adapter (22RF). The kits were clearanced for the 45 ejector (or mostly). The total w/shipping came to $2445. My guess with the drum mags you paid North of $800 for your kit.

Good luck,

Grasshopper

PS. FWIW, I've had to re-cut the sear surfaces on 2 of my kits. One of the kits needed it twice. I think I know why.

I've found it best to match the ammo with the recoil spring so the bolt just moves behind the sear surface. If you use a lighter spring on hotter ammo, the bolt seems to recoil a greater distance past the sear causing the bolt to crash into the sear on the forward stroke. IIRC, the sear surface that Merle used was 4140 that I'm guessing was about 30Rc. I am going to re-harden my bolt plates next time the sear surface fails as the 4140 can be brought up to around 40Rc.

PS. JAC no longer has any of the Thompson 22 kits in stock. I did try to order a kit and he wrote me a very nice letter indicating he no longer had any of those kits available. If you look at his web site he did update his price list with "o/s" or out of stock.

Interesting to hear about the sear notches.

Mine have no appreciable wear after many, many, thousands of shots. I've lost count.

I did some experimenting early on with different spring lengths; maybe that helped.

If anyone is wondering, the recoil spring on Merles kits is just a cut down GI spring.

I'd be interested too, as I have two kids, two Thompson's and only one .22 kit (a JAC kit I bought from Tom Woods back in ....2006?

If anyone else has one (or two?) For sale please let me know.

Thanks

john

You guys made me start thinking about .22 mags. Seems like I have a box of them around here somewhere. They are original factory .22 cal. mags that were made for the West Hurley .22 SMG's. I think I have several drums as well. All different if my memory serves me correctly. I think A/O went through several design changes to see if they could get them to work. If I can find them, I will shoot up some jpegs and post them on the board for you to see. In any case, I was curious as to what 30 round factory A/O mags were worth so I started looking around on the net and could not find any for sale. Anyone have an idea as to what an original 30 round A/O .22 mag is worth these days? Your 2 cents would be appreciated.

Regarding sear notches wear in JAC bolts:

My JAC bolt was developing excessive wear so I had Merle pin a small steel plate in the notch. End of problem.

Merle also fitted a steel plate on the right and left side of the JAC bolt to slow the ROF. Works great.

Jim C

Firearm,

Regarding the original AO mags, seems to me they were very similar to Ceiners 30 rounders.

That said, last one I saw for sale was a couple years ago at $100, same as Ceiner was getting for his.

I'd maybe be a buyer of a couple as I tried one down at KCR in my Ceiner kit and it ran fine

Never seen a drum this, might be interested in those too.