My New M1 Is Finished!

http://www.tommygunner.com/images/products/guns/customguns/m1showgun/m1show.jpg

Hello all!

Just finished up my new M1 that Kahr sent for me to customize for a friends of NRA banquet tonite. The modifications include:

Savage military parts:

Extractor

Ejector

Wood and hardware

mag catch

selectors

foregrip mount

pivot plate

Other military parts:

Lyman Middlefield Unprotected L sight

Modifications:

Rivet rear sight

Pin front sight

Contour barrel to military spec

Quick change barrel setup using set, rest and lock screws through the modified gripmount.

10.5 inch solid dummy Bar-el fabricated to Military contour Breach end is shortened to provent ever placing a round in battery.

Selector bolt hold open using a new MILLED pawl!

nickel bolt

rounded pilot and marked with an "S"

Chamber and feedramp work

Sighted at 50yd poi

modified magazine catch to accept full auto magazines.

tooless frame removal

polished and deburred internals

I have some replica acceptance stamps (as well as my own now) and have ordered the rest as well as rest of the military marks and roll stamps to mark the selector positions. Will be adding these to the gun as they come in. I intend this gun to be handled and shot as well as to show the work we can perform. I really like the short dummy bar-el because it can fit in all the vintage cases and works great for the photos. Great if you live in a state like I do that does not allow NFA. Finished in black oxide. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Enjoy,

Damon

http://www.tommygunner.com/images/products/guns/customguns/m1showgun/m1show2.jpg

http://www.tommygunner.com/images/products/guns/customguns/m1showgun/m1show4.jpg

Pic 4

Pic 5

Pic 6

Pic 7

Pic 8

Pic 9

Pic 10

Damon, absolutey beautiful work. You research shows, and you've done a neat job in duplicating the visual appeal of an early WWII M1 TSMG. If the sling is a reroduction, where did you get it?

Damon,

Very nice, you go great work. You've come a long way from that first TCA Show you attended of couple of years ago, huh! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Very nice indeed. Can you bring it to the TCA show this year? http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Absolutely outstanding work Damon! The more I think about it, the more I want you to build up an M1 just like yours for me! Of course after my AK's, FAL'S, Ect are done! I cannot wait to see your other project when finished! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Damon,

That is just beautiful! What attention to detail.

Really nice, makes me want one of those side cockers!

Thanks for sharing,

Zamm

Great work!

I didn't realize that if you put a solid barrel on it, that side-steps the ATF laws.

Did you confirm that with ATF first? I also live in a non-Class II or III state and would do this if it's legal!

Damon--

You do very fine work!!!

Thank you everyone. I am glad you like it. Took some blood sweat and tears. Tom and I worked through the night on to the next day to have it done it time. I brought it to the Friends of the NRA banquet last night and it got tons of attention! Had a great time...met Wayne Lapierre and got to hang out with Frank Harris of Kahr arms and have a couple of drinks and dinner. On thing really suprised me when I saw the new 1927A1 that he had that had beautiful drum divots milled in! Baby steps but they are moving in the right direction! I hope i am having a positive influence.

TSMGuy,

Thanks! You hit it on the head right off! That is exactly the gun I was shooting for. The sling is a very nice repro that I got from sportsmans guide. Bayonet inc has very similar slings for a bit cheaper as well.

GIjive,

Yea it sure seems like a long way so far. And i feel like I have so far left to go. I do not yet consider myself an expert by any means. The amount of knowledge some of you have boggles my mind. Helps me aim high though. Addiction is a fantastic motivator and I am very motivated to learn all I can. Someday I will get there.

TD,

Sure will and you can shoot it to your hearts content if you like. Though you will probably get bored really quick with all the full auto going on!

Devlin,

The "other project"? Only you can smell what I have cooking!

HudsonTR,

Good catch but you forgot to mention the EZpull spring kit...I am sure I forgot a bunch of other things as well. Good observation!

Phil,

Yes I was very pleased with the metal finish! It looks exactly like some of the M1 finishes I have seen. I had to rush the wood to be done in time so I have a bit more work to do there. Will get better.

Zamm,

Thanks a bunch! Iam glad you like it.

p51, Should not be an issue like Devlin said. It is a solid bar...not a barrel and cannot be turned into a barrel. It would be less work to build a new one.

Ralph,

Thank you very much. Good to hear you like it. You can see what to expect huh?

Looks like it stopped raining out. Maybe I will take her out in the back yard today! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Damon

Damon--

Sounds like you have been a good representative of our interests with Kahr. I am curious if Mr. Harris has shared with you any insights whether management is aware or even cares about the quality control issues, and also if they ever intend to produce a truly "Deluxe" model with some of the improved modifications that we currently outsource.

Warden...Thanks am please you like it. We can also take care of that cocking knob for you. Give me a call when you get a chance and we can discuss your options.

Phil...I agree and have mentioned this. I think that Kahr is making improvements step by step. It would be unreasonalbe to expect them to change everything in a day. It is a business and I wouldn't want to dive into something headlong without testing the waters first if it was my business. I have noticed much, much improvement in the fit and finish on the guns that have been coming through my shop since I have begun dealing directly with them. They have also been running better with very little in the way of returns. I get the guns directly from the factory now on a onsey basis so each gun is ordered specifically for each customer so I am seeing the latest stuff. I assume that there is still a bunch of the older stuff out there in some buying groups warehouses so it could be possible to buy a new gun and still get the same old problems. But the new stuff looks much better. Like I said there were drum divots on that new 27! They are experimenting with improvements. I do not know for sure who is in total control there but someone at the banquet commented about the rear sights shooting off and Frank said that they were looking to start using rivets in the future and he took a bunch of pics of the rivet job on my gun before he left. I personally like what I am hearing from them lately and to see some of it materialize. Just have to have patience.

Ralph...Thanks man! Funny you should ask. I have heard tale of such a model in the works! I have also heard it may have a correctly contoured cocking knob among other things but that is the only tidbit I am letting out right now. (yes...I know more than I am saying) I think they will start out with the improvements that they are most comfortable with and move on from there. Hopefully they will make a true to spec C drum with Tracie Hills assistance. This would certainly help public opinion.