50 Rd Repro Drums?

Hi gang,

Are there any drums to stay away from? Prices are all over the place from $175.00 to $375.00. I want one made in the USA. Some of the advertising states that the drum works in the 1927 SEMI & most full autos. I have a 1928A1 FA.....

If you are wanting a drum to shoot, then I would consider a taiwan drum that are available. They run excelllent and cant be beat for price and reliability that I have found. If you will only consider a USA drum then stick with a WW II era drum IMO.Hope this helps.

A while back I got a WWII drum for $250, looked like someone took a pot scrubber to the surface rust. Cleaned and gave it a good coat of Gun Kote. Now most don't even notice as it is a shooter drum. More fun pulling trigger than looking for imperfections.

GM=made in Mexico, assembled in USA.

I have two NY AO drums. The 50 rounder mounts fairly easily into the magazine slot on the frame. However, the other drum which is a 39 round drum does not go in easily. Any ideas before I start fooling around with a file?

If you are wanting a drum to shoot, then I would consider a taiwan drum that are available. They run excelllent and cant be beat for price and reliability that I have found. If you will only consider a USA drum then stick with a WW II era drum IMO.Hope this helps.

This answer gives you your made in the USA drum options that will work reliably.

Sell it

This answer gives you your best option for your NY AO drums.

This answer gives you your made in the USA drum options that will work reliably.

>Sell it

This answer gives you your best option for your NY AO drums.

The 50 rd drum works perfect.

Do what everyone else does with their junk. Put it on the table at a gun show

When I go to gun shows I tend to agree with you about what some people put on their tables. However, my 39 round drum " is not " junk and I never said it was! I have shot it before and it runs perfectly just like my 50 rounder. All I wrote was it doesn't fit well!

The 39 rounder was made for the Model Gun Corporation originally for their blank firing guns. West Hurley did not have a source for drums (L drum size) for their guns and purchased these and added their information to the drum. Typically they run OK. They later added the actual 50 round drums

Ron

I have two NY AO drums. The 50 rounder mounts fairly easily into the magazine slot on the frame. However, the other drum which is a 39 round drum does not go in easily. Any ideas before I start fooling around with a file?

I have a Kahr 50 rnd. drum that came with a 27A1. Both of the rails were a slight bit tight on the top and bottom fit so I squished them in ever so slightly with lock jaw pliers by way of a half dozen or so pinches along the length of the rails. If the fit problem you have is similar, you may wish to try a like approach. If the fit problem you have is related to fore/aft tightness, a different approach would be required as trying to squish the outside edges of the rails in will likely deform the front and/or rear plates and could cause different sorts of internal problems.

Best of luck.

MHO, YMMV, etc.

The 39 rounder was made for the Model Gun Corporation originally for their blank firing guns. West Hurley did not have a source for drums (L drum size) for their guns and purchased these and added their information to the drum. Typically they run OK. They later added the actual 50 round drums

Ron

A side note: The MGC 20 round Thompson stick mags worked in "real" Thompsons. I read that they loaded and fed just fine. I think our very own Administrator had one.

It might be nice to see some TSMG stuff at a gun show. Although it might be hard to find it with all the other stuff. Not like these shows used to be.

Ron

Thank you for the info. These forums are a great source of information!

I have a Kahr 50 rnd. drum that came with a 27A1. Both of the rails were a slight bit tight on the top and bottom fit so I squished them in ever so slightly with lock jaw pliers by way of a half dozen or so pinches along the length of the rails. If the fit problem you have is similar, you may wish to try a like approach. If the fit problem you have is related to fore/aft tightness, a different approach would be required as trying to squish the outside edges of the rails in will likely deform the front and/or rear plates and could cause different sorts of internal problems.

Best of luck.

MHO, YMMV, etc.

I will check on that....thank you....

It might be nice to see some TSMG stuff at a gun show. Although it might be hard to find it with all the other stuff. Not like these shows used to be.

You & me both....

Ron

A side note: The MGC 20 round Thompson stick mags worked in "real" Thompsons. I read that they loaded and fed just fine. I think our very own Administrator had one.

Yes I too have seen this happen. I have seen occasional feeding issues and noted to the owner they were running an MGC mag. The feed lips are scalloped back a bit. I have a few floating around as well.

As a side note there is a big difference between Taiwanese and Japanese manufacturing and China local manufacturing. I have seen some beautiful Taiwanese shops (especially with regard to quality systems, part launches, technology, etc). I understand Japanese to be similar.

Ron