Serial Number gouged S&W model 76

Willy peter

It has been redone ....UB356 . Prob'ly legally , but I'd check with BATF to be sure . Send in pictures with transfer forms and be sure to have the BTAF's approval of the condition as part of the sale . No OK = full refund .

Chris

Buy it for $7000, have that gouge filled in and refinished for $500. Resell for $11,000

Who do you know that would do that kind of work? I imagine most people shy away from doing stuff to serial numbers.
That gouge is no longer the serial number. Its a gouge

Its part of the guns history. Kinda neat imo. Ill fill it in and refinish if it was mine

Originally sanitized for a CIA mission, then re-imported and re- numbered pre 86'.....that is the story I would make up. You're going to need a story like that to get any money out of that, otherwise it's just a messed up gun with no story and will always sell at a discount. Fixing the number now is generally not allowed. I'd want to see a copy of the most recent transfer, but I'm sure it's good to go one way or another.

Who knows maybe there is a sexy story involved?

Owned by a chinese shell corp and carried by a concubine chinese smoking hot secret agent while she dated and worked with a US congressman, senator, and other high level party operatives on espionage activities....oh wait that's not all made up?

For those who haven't noticed, it has a stamped number to the right of the gouge. They say it matches paper work. This makes it a legal firearm in my book. As for the gouged area where the original number was, leave it or refinish. It still has a legal number.............