Need Info. On Savage Serial #...

It was made on March 18, 1941, which was a Tuesday, at about 1:45 P.M. I think the receiver was mated to the grip frame the following day on Wednesday, March 19th and was test fired either the following Wednesday or Thursday. It was crated at the Savage plant at Utica, New York on April 2, 1941 and was shipped to Fort Sill, Oklahoma via Railway Express Co. arrriving on April 12, 1941. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

Just kidding, I couldn't resist. Seriously, there is no way to determine the exact production date. You can just approximate based on the serial number range and the number of guns produced. Savage made the 1928/1928A1 model from 1940 to 1942, so your gun was probably made in early 1941.

Sorry about the sarcasm, but this question surfaces quite often. Even Frank Iannamico states it is virtually impossible to determine the production date from the serial number.

Thanks!

I wasn't sure if the serial # could be tracked with the same degree of accuracy that a Colt's # could. This gun is resting in an FBI case inside the Montgomery, Alabama FBI RA. I told the agent that was kind enough to let me check it out that I would check on a production date.

Ron,

One of the local agents was in my office and spotted a "vintage" photo of me dressed up and brandishing my WH. He mentioned that the local RA has the Savage and the Mobile field office has 3 Thompsons. Until recently the Savage, case and all, was sitting on its side in the back of their weapons locker.

The case is FBI, blue interior, with the cleaning rod and parts kit. Four 20 round magazines, one being a patent date. The agents were pretty impressed when I broke it down and explained to them that the oiler was not a cleaning patch jammed behind the bolt that they had previously thought! The gun was in nice shape overall. A few dings and scratches to the wood.

They invited me to their next range day and I promised that I would bring one of my drums, as they had only shot the 20 rounders.

Looks like I'm off to Mobile next!

BTW: Our Department of Corrections has several 1921s in their possession that they have let me fondle.