Winchester 1910 - this is unbelievable!

I have started collecting information on 1910s to create a database for Winchester Collectors and came accross this. Imagine a 20? Round magazine with .401s at your disposal?

post-2828-0-37909800-1552345444_thumb.jpeg

post-2828-0-12932700-1552345457_thumb.jpeg

post-2828-0-02101000-1552345471_thumb.jpeg

post-2828-0-95966900-1552345482_thumb.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Ron, i am looking for the following - Full serial number; whether tang markings end with 1910 or 10; whether barrel address ends with 1906 or 1910; plain or fancy; front sight make and type; rear sight make and type; other information like sling swivels, recoil pad and brand, inscribing/engraving, stock replacement, other modifications, etc. thanks! John

I just sold my 1910 about three weeks ago. I have had 1907's and 10's for about 15+ years. At one time I had 10 of the 1907's and three of the 1910's. I have never seen a magazine larger than the 10 for the 1907 or the standard 5 for the 1910.

I have photos of the last 1910 somewhere on another computer. I'll look at it and try to post them.

Here is the info on my 1910 S.L. serial # 18096, 1910 tang marking, barrel address 1910, plain wood, original front and rear sights, sling swivels,

original Winchester butt plate, left side of receiver marked Lyon & Lyon Calcutta.

......left side of receiver marked Lyon & Lyon Calcutta.

The India connection is pretty dang neat! Only have one more of these listed so far. Thanks for the info! Is there any way I can get a photo for the data base?

Thanks,

John

John,

Congratulation on your find.

Where on earth did you find?? If not on earth , then what planet ??

Is there any mark on it to indicate British made. The British not only used the 351 to arm biplanes , but also used the 401. I noticed the lanyard loop on the floor plate which would have been a nice feature for airplane use.

Look forward to watching a video of you blasting away with the 20 rd mag.

Here is the info you requested,

Winchester model 1910 serial number 13,846.

Tang,--Winchester

0 trade mark0

reg us pat off

mod 1910 sl

barrel ends with 1910

front site is small tapered post---pat nov 02

rear site elevator marked feb 1901

Hope this helps,

Jim C

Jim,

Thanks for the kind words but it is not mine. Was auctioned in missouri a few years back. If i would have seen it then I would have done my best to win it. Your thoughts that it might be British is interesting and would explain the darn thing. Other than an unknown rifle used by the Dillinger gang, yours is the best explanation so far.

Your 1910 info is in the data base. I'm asking for photos because that is what the guys over in the Winchester Collector forum said they did with their particular models but I know it makes people nervous. If you want to then please send one - it will be permanently linked to your gun. If not, no hard feelings.

John

......left side of receiver marked Lyon & Lyon Calcutta.

The India connection is pretty dang neat! Only have one more of these listed so far. Thanks for the info! Is there any way I can get a photo for the data base?

Thanks,

John

It will be a few days but I will post pictures or send straight to you if you want.

John,

If you will take a look on page 3 of this forum, under the title "it hits like the hammer of Thor", you will see pics of my 401.

You can copy

and paste.

Jim C

PS, how much did the mag sell for.

Edited by jim c 351

Thanks guys!

Jim - The rifle and mag sold together for $750. I would pay that much to get my hands on that magazine for sure.

John

Thanks Sherman. Nice 1910!

I have started collecting information on 1910s to create a database for Winchester Collectors and came accross this. Imagine a 20? Round magazine with .401s at your disposal?

Awesome find, very cool! I've been after info on extended magazines for the Model 1907 and Model 1910 for a long time. Did you check the actual capacity by loading it?

The Model 1910, while not as popular as the Model 1907, did have a decent following among gangsters in the 1930s, documented sightings including with the Barker-Karpis and Dillinger-Nelson gangs.

Cheers

HANS

• 3 weeks later...

Ron,

Another beauty, congratulations.

Do you realize how close the 35 rem and 401 WSL are in power?? With the 200 gr bullet the 401 is only 100 fps slower than the 35REM.

Jim C

Thanks. No I did not realize that. I will be reloading both as I have dies for both calibers. Im hoping to get both to the range nice it warms up a bit. Ive had the 1910 for several years now, but havent taken it out and enjoyed it yet.

Ron