Anybody Get There Drums Yet?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if I did, I'd be afraid to admit it on this post. LOL

I see Numrich is still offering their WH 50 round drums stamped for Law Enforcement and Export Only for 275.00. I picked one of these up before the Kahr drums came out, but have to admit I've never shot it. It seems on an equal par with my original WH drum from the 80's Anybody have any experience with these?

I ordered some drums in the 'second wave' at Sportsman Guide (thanks to an observant fellow poster on this site). I also ordered some other items which were also back ordered. One of those items came the other day and on the shipper was a note that my Thompson drums were due to ship on Oct 28. I know it doesn't mean much until they are in hand but at least SG is still claiming that they will ship them to me.

I ordered three on the second wave and haven't received them yet but I did receive a postcard that they are backordered until the end of Oct/beginning of Nov. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

I called customer service over at SG about something I had to return from another order and asked about the drums. As far as the guy knew, they were still inbound and were genuine brand-new-never-issued new-in-the-cosmoline US surplus drums. I asked if maybe they were from Russia and he said he had no idea. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/dry.gif

For all anyone knows, they may have been found in a warehouse here in the US and the guide has negotiated some kind of deal.....

Only they know for sure. Personally, I'll just assume that this whole deal is on the up-and-up and I'll continue to wait. If they send drums.

If it turns out that all are confiscated before they can be sent out to us then we won't be charged for them. I also hope that if they are in fact illegally imported that the BATFE doesn't come knocking at my door a year from now demanding the drums (like they have done in the past with various parts kits that weren't properly demilled!)

I wish us all luck.

john

It sure seems odd to me that an established company would risk their business just to turn an illegal deal. Additonally, I would think that any company that sells bad stuff should be forced to give refunds to customers with confiscated merchandise. Could someone tell me why this would not be the case?

Sure, when you sell an article of personal property, it is presumed under the Uniform Commercial Code that you have good marketable title to do so. Otherwise you owe the refund.

Now, can the tide get turned when the purchaser has reason to believe that the title may be defective? Possibly so.

For example, you get a deal on a virgin sheep. You question whether there are in reality any virgin sheep left in the world, and also, wonder if it is really a virgin sheep, why the price is so low. But the deal is too good to pass up. Turns out, the sheep (although a virgin) is stolen. The rightful owner can reclaim the sheep, take her from you, and pay you nothing. Your only recourse is with the seller (the thief), who has fled the country back to Nigeria. Because the deal was too good to be true and from a thief, you are not a BFP (bona fide purchaser in good faith) under the UCC. One who purchases from a thief never gets any better title than his predecessor...... none.

In this case, I think it would be presumed that the price was decent for the offering, and that a court would find that there was reason to believe that title was good. SG should owe you a refund (unlike the sheep's owner).

Ken

Edited by TNKen

Actually you are correct to a degree. BFP's typically apply to cases where the buyer has actual or constructive notice of a defect in title.

In Tennessee (and I haven't checked other states) however, the status of a BFP also applies in a situation where there is "larceny by trick" which is somewhat akin to theft. For example, Joe represents to you that he is in a position to restore your Thompson '27, and you voluntarily surrender the Thompson to Joe for the restoration. All along, Joe plans on selling your Thompson for cash, and as soon as it is in his hands, he sells it. Assuming the buyer was an innocent BFP, the buyer gets clear title to the Thompson. The issue is a voluntary surrender of the goods by you; you voluntarily gave Joe possession. You will call Joe a thief, which he really is. Under the UCC in Tennessee, this is "larceny by trick." I personally don't see it as any different than an outright theft, but the law unfortunately does.

Check out the provisions of 2-403 of the UCC.

I gave my '63 Corvette to a guy for restoration, and he sold some of the parts I had. He's dead now with an insolvent estate, but I can't go back against the people that got the parts because I voluntarily gave him the car to restore.

Had a stolen banjo case a few years ago that was located after 20 years. We filed suit against the holder to recover the banjo, who purchased it at a yard sale, and ultimately prevailed under the stolen property theory.

Ken

The term "larceny by trick" is new to me but I agree with your concept and cite to 2-403.

A person entrusted with a voidable title to a good has power to create good title by transfering to a BFPV. The classic example is the watch repair shop where you leave your Rolex that then sells it. There is no way to get the Rolex back from the BFPV as 2-403 created good title upon the sale by the repair shop. (the irony being that 2-403 "upgrades" the title passed by the repair shop from voidable to good).

However, a thief in possession of stolen good, i.e., a void title, has no power to pass title to a BFPV even if a merchant engaged in the trade of selling those items.

[end of thread hijack]

Was Fullauto in the first wave of orders?

Just got the following:

If you recall, we had to backorder some of your merchandise on your order # 265xxxxx you placed with us. When you placed the order, we gave you an estimated ship date based on the information given to us from our supplier. Unfortunately, the item below will not be available in the time frame that we anticipated, and the new expected shipping date is shown:

Item: 92953-000-000

Description: NEW THOMPSON 50 RD DRUMS

Quantity: 1

Amount: 359.97

Total: 359.97

Expected Ship Date: 12/30/05

We do need your approval to keep the item on backorder. Please take a moment and call or email us if you still wish to receive the merchandise after the new expected ship date. Contact our Customer Service Department toll-free 1-800-882-2945 or click "reply" to email.

If we do not receive a reply from you within ten days we will cancel your backordered merchandise, in compliance with FTC law.

We have not charged your card for the above item. If you choose to keep the item on order, we will charge your card when we ship the item.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thank you for shopping the Guide.

I have been sweating bullets on this SG back order since others had over a week ago received eiher an email or a postcard that things were running late and lack of response would delete ones order-

So glad I too received the same above email-

We may never see them- that is surely a real possibility but at least we are still in the game.

Mark

I wonder if SG isn't just pulling dates out of the air with these updated back-order notices. About a month before I caught word of the drums, I had placed an order for a fair quantity of their American Ammunition (.45 of course) because it was SO cheap. Since then, I must have received at least 5 updated back-order notices, pushing back the expected ship date over 6 months from when they original expected to ship.

Guess the only options are to wait or cancel. Think I'll keep waiting...

-Richard

Finally got my notice for Dec also.

Just a thought. How many signed up for their Buyer's Club at $30 to save more than that on a drum or two? Have they billed you the Club price already? If so and they don't come through on the drums I wonder if they will refund the club price. Or is this just another clever way to scam $30 from everyone? Just curious. I'm from Ohio so I have to watch from the sidelines....Gesh !!

Chuck

I thought of the same thing myself. I didn't realize they were going to continually take $8.00 a month out of my credit card. I cancelled my club, but wonder if they will now not give me the discount, because the delivery was delayed. Boy, if that is the case, it is the slickest scam I've seen in a long time.