Aluminum Federal Champion ammo in Thompson?

I was wondering about ammo for Thompsons. What ammo isn't recommended?

Definitely not Maxxtech. You can search that here on the forum. I thought there was a thread that had a few brands that were not recommended, but I can't seem to find it.

Andrew

Funny, I have been sitting on 1.5K rounds of MaxxTech. Decided to try it in a 1911 last week and had a FTF about 1 out of every 4 times. Would not chamber without a "kick in the slide".

That stuff ain't going near a Tommy.

Conversely, it's problems are it needs a full length resizing to fit most chambers. The Thompson chamber is slightly larger - and it may actually work. Several TCA and TATA members have shot it without incident.

But for me, for now, I stay with S&B.

Anyone want any MaxxTech? LOL!

Randym...that ammo will work fine in most anything OTHER than an open bolt gun. The soft alum case cannot handle the slamming from the heavy bolt and could deform at the face. This could cause out of battery detonation...very dangerous situation. The metal case stuff would be a better choice if you want to run the cheaper priced ammo.

Edited by Petroleum 1

Conversely, it's problems are it needs a full length resizing to fit most chambers. The Thompson chamber is slightly larger - and it may actually work. Several TCA and TATA members have shot it without incident.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Mike, Ask Roger H what happened to his Sig pistol when shooting Maxx Tech ammo. Roger doesn't recommend it PERIOD. Jim C

Edited by jim c 351

Jim C,

This weekend I heard a little bit more of the history of that batch of ammo. And yes, I am in Roger's camp now. I am not using it at all.

Thanks!