Magazines made for the full auto Thompson?

I had my 1927-A1 serviced recently, and the gunsmith that did the work had me send in my mags so he could tune up the feed lips for better operation.
When he returned my rifle to me he told me that 3 of the stick mags I sent him were for the Full auto Tommy Gun, and I should take care not to damage them or get rid of them unknowingly. He packed them separately so I would know which they are.

So. my question is pretty simple. Are there really stick mags made specifically for the full auto guns, that are identifiable as such, or was he just telling me tall tales? I'm really curious, because if they are for the full auto, I can only imaging they hold some value to them.

Regards,

Gregory

all tsmg mags originaly made were for the ffull auto guns,, it was when numrich started makeing the semi commerical guns the feds wanted the semi guns unable to use g.i. internal parts , the upper and lower semi guns are .100 inch different, numrich had to elongate the mag catch hole in g.i. mags so they lock in place, many original g.i. mags modifyed this way, my opinon the original unmodifyed mags are worth a few bucks more, just sayn

As stated by others, many original magazines were modified to work in the semi-auto guns by using a dremel tool or file to make the make catch oval to allow them to be used in the semi guns. I bought a couple early XX mags a long time ago on Gunbroker and was very disappointed someone had performed a "lobotomy" on them. The modified ones don't work in the FA guns. Check out the frequently asked questions to identify what you have, they may be valuable. As suggested, they are likely worth more unmodified.

Have fun,

Gearchecker,

Auto-Ordnance is now making new mags that are already configured with the modified hole placement. I assume those are the ones that would come with a new 27-A1 today. They are pricey and unmarked.

As noted above, before A-O started to make these new mags, they simply modified original full auto mags, though most mags I have seen have been modified by Bubba to varying degrees of reliability.

If you have a semi-auto, I suggest investigating modification or replacement of your mag catch so that your gun can use original WWII and earlier magazines. Millions were made by various manufacturers, and once your catch is modified, you could use your original mags instead of your modified mags. It would also avoid someone "modifying" more quality WWII mags to use with your gun.

Your gun, so your call, but I recommend considering the adjustment. Dan Block can help you with it if you are not comfortable with making the change yourself. This is one of the standard "tweaks" that is often recommended for semi guns (see the Semi Forum).

FWIW

Take a look at the semi-auto forum and do a "search" there, lots of good info. The full auto mags that have been elongated for semi can be welded back up and made into good shooters, PK did some for me years ago and they work great. Also get the mag catch modified as others have said then you can always use standard mags and not have to find modified or current production AO semi mags.