Pawn Shop Find Today

Found at a local pawn shop today. A XX that is marked , ,

PATENTED-AUG, 20,1920

AUG 24,1920-JAN,11,1921

I picked it up for a cool $20.oo... ( a good price for any XX) ...The owner had been trying to sell a semi 27 for some time. He finally sold it and said the guy who bought it brought this mag back demanding his money back for it. So the owner gave him 20 bucks for it and just wanted his money back...

It has original finish, one VERY small dent. The hole is slightly ovaled but it locks in tight in my M1A1. I have not tried it out yet but I expect it will run just fine.

Its not for sale but i would like some input on what it might be worth..

THANKS

2Dogs,,,,,OUT

It's not worth as much as it would have been had the magazine catch hole not been ovaled for a semi-auto Thompson. Generally, original Patent Date magazines range from $60.00 to $85.00 (sometimes higher) depending on condition. Since it has been modified, it is probably worth about what you paid for it, in my opinion.

2Dogs,

It is sad that someone modified the mag catch hole, but many people don't know or care about the unique history of the early Thompson mags. I generally see these go for between $25 and $35 because of the modification.

I'd say you got a good buy, but not a steal.

Roger

That hole can be fixed.

I would email PK about it.

Since it is a patent date mag, it would probably be worth the $$$.

It is neat to find stuff like this in pawn shops and flea markets. It gives you a feeling that maybe not all of the good stuff is taken. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Norm

Two dogs,

I note that no one mentioned that the mag you have there is one of the rarer "incorrect patent date" mags. The dates should read Aug 24 1920 Aug 24 1920 Jan 11 1921. The mag is commonly known as a "Colt" mag but if you remove the floor plate and have a look at the inside of the spine you will find the MSCO stamp of the manufacturer. A lucky find in my opinion

It was made in early 1921 for the 1921 Colt gun and I hold the view that the value would be over $100 oval hole or no oval hole. It is a rare mag!.

. My wife and I were looking around a small gun show just out of Flagstaff Az about 18 months ago. A guy on a "mom & pop" table had a patent date mag in good condition for $10. He said it was that price as it had been modified to take only ten rounds. I offered five and he said yes.

When we got back to our hotel, I had a look at it to see how the modification had been done. I removed the floor plate and found a block of wood inside. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif Removed it and "presto" I had a fine "incorrect patent date" Mag! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

Murray,

I second your appraisal that the "incorrect" patent date XX rd mags are worth in excess of $100, but only if they are in original non altered condition and are not pitted, rusted, dented and retain at least 90% of their original blue. Whether or not the now oval sized hole can be repaired in order to function in a Colt or Savage TSMG, the repair will still be obvious.

The mind boggles how someone could mangle a truly collectible mag when there are tons of WWII surplus XX rd and XX rd mags to adapt to the WH/Kahr firearm, if they opted out of changing the mag catch.

Did you notice in the "Colt Bargain" thread that some lucky buyer out did your $1500 deal on a numbered Colt C drum? They paid $2K for two of them!

Arthur,

I cannot allow myself to be out done!

I paid $1500 for two drums, one was a Colt "C" and the other was an "L"

Bridgeport. That is $750 each.

On that pricing basis two "C" drums would have cost $1500 ! beat that! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

Phil.

Hear Hear.

PS. Read that artical. You are more famous than I am!! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif

God !were you correct about ET.

MURRY, Man you guys never fail to amaze me. I opened up the mag. MSCO is clearly visable on the spine. Where do you find and how do you remember all of this stuff???? THANKS for the info.. Im going to the Louisville show on Sat Ill take it with me if someone wants to have a look.

I dont think Ill have the mag Fixed until I try it in my gun. If it runs good Im going to leave it alone. AGAIN THANKS to all who posted.

2Dogs,,,,,OUT