Combat!

Happy Veterans's Day!!

For all of you who get to take today off, celebrate the freedom you have, courtesy of U.S. Veterans!

While off, see if you can follow the series COMBAT! as I have to work today. The first episode this morning, showed Sgt. Saunders carrying an M1 Garand. The third episode, entitled "For the Record" featured him carrying a 1928A1, or an M1A1 (which is what I remember him carrying when I watched the series in my youth; about 8-10 years old) with a Cutt's compensator. Does anyone know which it was? If so, please follow the series for today only (14 hours total) on the Action Channel and let me know. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Also, Lt. Hanley, in the first episode, about D-Day, was a five stripe seargent; how does he become a lieutenant? Also, he carried an M1 Garand; when did he start carrying an M1 carbine? Finally, I recall one episode (remember, this was 40 years ago!) in which it appeared that he carried an M2 carbine. Can anyone set me straight on this? http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

TIA http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

Pa Deuce aka

Lt. Col. Ricardo E. Alvillar, USAF, MC (sep) http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ph34r.gif

In the pilot, "A Day In June", filmed 12/23/61, Hanley is a sergeant (3 up, 2 down) carrying an M1, and Saunders is also a sergeant (3 up) with an M1. Hanley got a field promotion after the Normandy landings. Vic Morrow didn't start wearing the camo helmet until episode #3 "Just For The Record". Saunders, after the pilot, always carried a 1928 A1. Hanley (Rick Jason) always carried an M1 Carbine with bayonet lug. The pilot episode was then recycled to become the first episode, shown 12/18/62, with a tacked on opener using the flashback sequence to show new squad memeber Kirby. The best episodes are the two parter, "Hills Are For Heroes", "Masquerade" with James Coburn, "The Little Carousel", and "The Duel".

Greg,

Welcome to the board; and, thanks for the link!

Arthur,

Thanks for the information. Do you happen to know if anyone offers the series on VHS or DVD format? I have not yet had the time to search the link that Greg gave me.

TIA

Arthur,

The pilot episode was indeed recycled as an early season episode, but it wasn't the first episode. The first episode broadcast was "Forgotten Front", on Oct. 2, 1962. It is listed as # 6 in the production schedule and that makes sense, because Saunders has the camo helmet and Thompson.

Also, Saunders carries an M1 Carbine in the episode, "The Squad."

The broadcast schedule and the production schedule differed. Jo Davidmeyer's book lists the syndication schedule as being the same as the production schedule. I contributed to her book and I disagree with her on a couple of minor issues.

The syndication (and presumed production) schedule lists episode #3 as "Just For The Record", marking the debut of the camo helmet. Actually the first episode broadcast with the camo helmet present (after the debut episode "Forgotten Front) was "Lost Sheep, Lost Shepherd", broadcast as the 3rd episode on Oct. 16, 1962. "Just For The Record" was broadcast as the 15th episode of the season on Jan. 15, 1963.

I believe the syndication order is not actually the production order in a couple of instances. "The Squad" is listed as the 4th episode produced, presumably after episode # 3, "Just For The Record." However, in "The Sqaud", Saunders has neither the camo helmet cover or the Thompson 1928A1.

I believe "The Squad" was made prior to the episodes "Lost Sheep, Lost Shepherd" and "Just For The Record" , after which the camo helmet and Thompson became standard.

I'm not trying to nit-pick, I just happen to have a wealth of useless early 1960's television information rattling around in my head.

Photo below of Saunders with Stembridge Gun Rental Thompson. Notice flattened barrel fins near front of barrel and one-piece cast replica compensator to hide restrictor for blanks. According to Stembridge employees I recently spoke with, the flattened fins were done to all the Stembridge Thompsons to allow for a special wrench to be placed on the barrel for quick movie set barrel changes when the guns were acting up. Check old publicity photos from movies in the 1940's, 1950's and 1960's (Sahara, Attack and the St. Valentine's Day Massacre come to mind) and you will notice the barrel fins flattened in the same location near the muzzle end on the Stembridge guns.

http://members.aol.com/gijive/VicMorrow.jpg

G.I. Jive,

You are the man! Anyone who can produce minutia concerning the all time best military TV show is indeed appreciated. The info on Chip's barrel fins is too cool.

Greg,

When the Nostalgia Channel ran the entire series a dozen years ago, I recorded the episodes on VHS. The problem with the VHS format is that, after a decade, the tape's quality begins to deteriorate.

Notice the length of Vic's right index finger in the photo. One of the many fascinating bits of information in Jo's book, Combat, is that Vic had a very (birth defect?) short right index finger. And he always fired his Thompson with his right middle finger, if I recall correctly. I think he did a good job of hiding this little deformity because I sure never realized it during all those years growing up watching the show.

I would LOVE to have copies of the first 10 or so episodes on video (even better on DVD), since I think those were the most interesting, with the earliest cast members (Shecky Green as Braddock, Rick Rodgers as Doc, etc.). Go to the web site, get the book. It's WELL worth the cost, if you have any interest in the show.

I have a quick trivia question. Is the camo helmet correct for Sgt. Saunder's theater of operations. A friend said that it was only used in the Pacific.

Sgt,

Although the official Herring Bone Twill (HBT) camouflage covers were issued to the Marine Corps in the Pacific Theater, there is some photo documentation of paratroopers in Europe utilizing camouflage parachute material to fashion helmet covers.

That is what Saunders wears on his helmet. If you notice it has no seam in the center, it is just a square of cloth held in place between the liner and steel shell. The manufactured camouflage covers were made in two pieces with a center seam.

Probably not too many soldiers actually utilized this method, but it wouldn't be incorrect for the European Theater. Individual soldiers could be pretty resourceful.

GI Jive--

Good observation skills! I didn't notice the lack of a seam. Thanks

I thought... and this is just from my distant memory as a child watching the program when it was in its first run...that Saunders' brother was fighting in the Pacific and had sent it to him. (Later, I also thought it was a nice touch on the part of the art director because it made it easier to identify Saunders. I have a problem with a lot of war shows because it can be hard for me to distinguish the characters in the thick of combat.)