Lyman Rear Sight

My windage adjustment knob moves the aperture right and left but with zero resistance. It freewheels. I'm sure I can figure out a way to keep it in place so the windage knob requires some effort to move. Before I mess with it I wanted to ask here if someone could explain to me how the windage knob/screw is supposed to be given some sort of tightness or clicks in the proper way.

R/s, Hiller..............................

Quite a few Lyman sights are like that. Since I doubt you are going to be doing precision shooting at distances over 100 yards for any length of time, I would leave it alone. Set the windage, shoot, and if it moves after several shots reset it.

Quite a few Lyman sights are like that. Since I doubt you are going to be doing precision shooting at distances over 100 yards for any length of time, I would leave it alone. Set the windage, shoot, and if it moves after several shots reset it.

I'm envious of you giijie! I could never own a gun that you have to reset the sights after several shots. I think I must have ocd or something because if it rattles, squeaks or leaks I have to fix it. I can't help myself. If I left this windage screw free floating the aperture flopped back and forth and never shot the gun it would haunt my sleep.. I would wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat. My wife would ask me "what's wrong honey?" I'd tell her that I had a terrible nightmare where I was trying to hold of a hoard of japs at bataan with my trusty smg but I just couldn't hit them because of my rear sight. All the while robert taylor who was watching me in my dream would be frowning and shaking his head back and forth disapprovingly. And I just couldn't take that!

R/s, Hiller.....................

Then you you need to replace it.

Well said, ppgcowboy. If the wind conditions persisted for several hours while you were holding off the hoard of Japs, I suppose that you might want to take Jim's suggestion and use some Loctite to hold the sight in place during the assault. It just seems like a little too much work to get your solvent out and remove the Loctite after every Banzai charge as you move to your next defensive position, which of course might have an effect on the elevation and windage settings for the next go-around.

Of course, my previous suggestion was based on how much actual precision shooting you are going to do with the Lyman sight. Since it seems that you intend to do some long-range shooting with your Thompson, I agree with ppgcowboy, find another one that isn't as loose. By the way, none of them click into place while adjusting the windage. Good luck.

gijive,

My 28 AO shot 5 inches to the right at 25 yds, with the fixed sight.

This was more than adequate for shooting garbage cans at 25 yds but for steel plate shoots, it didn't cut it.

I installed a Lyman adj ladder sight, zeroed it and lock tighten it in place.

That was in 2006, hasn't moved since.

Jim C

gijive,

My 28 AO shot 5 inches to the right at 25 yds, with the fixed sight.

This was more than adequate for shooting garbage cans at 25 yds but for steel plate shoots, it didn't cut it.

I installed a Lyman adj ladder sight, zeroed it and lock tighten it in place.

That was in 2006, hasn't moved since.

Jim C

Jim,

I was not questioning your solution to the problem. Your idea is great if your shooting at a fixed distance at similar targets all the time. Hiller's scenario struck me as quite different, you know the enemy can be sneaky sometimes and switch positions, causing sight adjustments. I get it that he was being facetious about the Bataan reference. Actually, I thought it was quite clever, which prompted my similarly facetious response. If he is shooting the same distances at fixed targets in competition frequently, then your solution makes perfect sense.

Just because you are not paranoid does not mean someone is not out there trying to get you. I too understand Hillers compulsion to know his sight is on. I have a girlfriend who makes me suffer from her OCD. It is a blessing and a curse. With that in mind, a replacement is the only solution.

Does anyone actually adjust the windage on their Lyman after they have an initial zero? i never did on my 28 and thankfully it's not an issue on my fixed-sight M1; it shoots pretty much dead on. I'm with Jim on this one. Set it for the correct windage shooting off a rest at 50 yds. on semi, glue it in place and call it good.

Elevation is a whole different animal.

Edited by StrangeRanger

Just because you are not paranoid does not mean someone is not out there trying to get you. I too understand Hillers compulsion to know his sight is on. I have a girlfriend who makes me suffer from her OCD. It is a blessing and a curse. With that in mind, a replacement is the only solution.

The girlfriend or the sight?

Sharp! Both are replaceable. I call her my girlfriend when she is not mad at me. I let her shoot my 28 Navy. It was the first gun she ever shot, she handed it back and said, "I dont see the big deal", What am I supposed to do with that.

As a side hobby, I sell Neapolitan Wood Fired Pizza at events by the hundreds a day, she can work the oven as good as anyone, so I keep her around.

20200402_175559.jpg

20200402_181757.jpg

Edited by ppgcowboy

Well after looking around for a replacement Lea(which would have been the proper way to fix my problem)f I decided to repair mine. Finish/patina was nice on this one. I was able to very slightly distress the threads of the windage screw. Now the windage knob is turnable but firm. Also had to re-tension the spring on the elevation slide as it was prone to move around due to recoil force. Sights worked well for me yesterday. Was able to consistently hit steel plates at 25, 50 and 100y. Although at 50y the gun shot high while at 25&100y it seemed to be right on. Guess this must be the ballistic curve of the 230gr 45acp out of a 10 barrel.

Definitely makes for a more enjoyable range outing when I can hit what Im aiming at.

Hiller...............