Gunmachines Co. Tsmg Enhanced Performance Parts

Despite it being a moot point perhaps, as i will never likely afford a real Thompson, I found PK's explanation excellent. Particularly as it really speaks too more than just the issue at hand.

It is rare to see the physics so well and completely presented with neither embellishment nor vague allusion.

Paul,

Excellent post regarding the Blish lock. As stated, it is an integral part of the design of the 1921/28 gun. It prevents premature ignition, absorbs recoil and functions as it was supposed to. Your right, elimintaing a portion of it doesn't mean it isn't necessary for the proper function of the 1921/28 model.

Good job!

Anyone have access to some good simulation software?

Nowdays the engineers model stuff like this and try it out by computer before putting the milling machine to the metal block.

One could readily do a series of sensitivity analyses to see how much the ammo force can vary, how much the spring rate can vary, what the actuator/bolt mass range must be, when the Blish lock does what, and so on.

Plus, we could then not only discuss whether or not the Blish lock does anything, we could also discuss what is wrong with the computer model.

PK,

Thanks for the excellent clarification. I do believe we are on the same page - my noting the blish lock is not necessary should have been referring to whether or not the principle of metallic adhesion is a viable one. Thank again.

As far as simulation... I prefer to stay working in the real world! That's why I work on the actual cars/parts at work - not hours and hourson a tube (I'm told I can't even spell komputer...). I am sure it is a lot more fun to shoot a lot and record the data that way!

giantpanda4

28's are thinner at the rear end, without the blish lock to slow it down you beat the rear or the recever to death. The M1 has a LOT more metal and is contoured diferently and designed to take that pounding where the back of the 28 is opened up to take the oiler right there.

BB