Thompson SMG Disassembly, Reassembly, & Cleaning Instructions

This is probably a post I should have made a long time ago, but I had someone contact me today who needed Thompson Submachine Gun disassembly and reassembly instructions. In 1941, The Armored Force School at Fort Knox, Kentucky published what I consider the best set of instructions, and I've included a download link to the pertinent sections of that vintage manual.

These instructions apply to Model of 1921 and 1928 Thompsons, as well as the M1928A1. They can also be used for the M1 and M1A1 versions, but some of the details won't apply. Please be careful, and always check that the firearm is unloaded before performing any of the steps shown in these instructions. If you are going to do a complete disassembly of the trigger group, please be especially careful when removing the pivot plate (don't use a screwdriver), so that you don't scratch up the weapon. Wear safety glasses while performing all steps.

The 40 MB file can be downloaded at the following link:

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/dalbert/MGBoards/TSMG_Disassembly_Instructions.pdf

As soon as I can, I will add a link to this thread in both the FAQ section, and the reference pinned post.

If you like this post, feel free to click on the reputation button in the lower right hand corner.

Thanks!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

• Upvote 8

Great information. If you would like to own an original copy if this hard to find manual I have an extra for sale. Contact me via the PM feature.

TD.

Ditto on the AIG Thompson CD

You just have to flinch when he takes a screwdriver

to the pivot plate.

-Darryl.