Looking a correct violin case for my sbr'ed chopper.

Of the two 1928 stock slides that I’ve ordered the GPC repro is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Still no sign of the original from the Netherlands. I will have photos of the assembled Thompson and a range report before the weeks out.

My GPC repro slide came a couple days later than tracking said. It was a good tight fit on my 1928 milsurp stock, had to tap it on, screws aligning fine, Slid it onto my gun and put ten rds downrange. Hit everything that I aimed at. I flipped up the rear sight. I’ll try to get photos tomorrow as I’ve got a Md’s appt today. Assuming that my original slide arrives and is not tighter to my gun than the repro I’ll probably sell it.

Edited by Baltimoreed11754

• 5 weeks later...

Carried it to last month’s cas match and let the guys play with it during lunch break, they ran a couple of mags through it. Clanged the rifle and pistol targets just fine. Double taps were no problem either. Minute of sass marshal. We were using the slot in the charging knob to sight through. Feeds my round nose, swc and pc boolits just fine. It initially had issues with lead boolits with the heavier oem recoil springs but feeds 100% after replacing them with the lighter springs and buffer. Trying to talk the guys into a zoot match this year. We do a 2 inch snubby match where we add a 2 inch bbl gun along with our regular guns, maybe then.

• 3 weeks later...

A little more work left to do it seems. My original 1928 stock slide from the Netherlands finally arrived yesterday, only took 3 months, but it has a noticeably tighter fit to the gun [less wiggle] than my GPC unit so I’m going to use the original slide. My buttstock and plate are original. The wartime finish isn’t as nice as the repro but that’s ok. The rub is that it will not lock in place. I’m thinking that I need to remove a little steel from the catch a little at a time until it pops into the recess.

• 4 weeks later...

Might wanna cover those leather straps with some felt where they touch the guns bare metal, the tannic acid used in the process will definitely leave a permanent mark after time.

post-258557-0-35519000-1600959871_thumb.jpg

Edited by tray burge

Thanks tray, no longer than they are in the case I wouldn’t think that there would be damage but I’ll watch them. The strap on the Thompson is across the vertical walnut grip but the straps go over the pistol frames/grips.

Thanks tray, no longer than they are in the case I wouldn’t think that there would be damage but I’ll watch them. The strap on the Thompson is across the vertical walnut grip but the straps go over the pistol frames/grips.

Gotcha, I didn't know if you stored them there or just used it for transportation needs.

I keep mine in the case all the time. I ruined the finish on an old nickeled Colt SAA years ago by leaving it in the holster, I learned the hard way. lol

Edited by tray burge

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I have finally gotten around to fitting my GI takedown stock slide to my Thompson. The GI Slide came from the Netherlands and was so long in arriving [6 months] I figured it was lost at sea so I ordered a cheaper AO unit from GPC that took a bit but still beat the first slide. The AO unit was very tight to the stock but loose to the frame and had slop in the lock while the gi unit was a slip fit to the stock, tighter to the frame but the lock would not engage the cut in the frame. My first thought was to mill it—hah, it laughed at my mill so I used my 1 inch bench belt sander to shorten the lock. After a lot of measurements, grinding with a wore out belt and trying it, I got it to lock with zero play. The buttplate is an enfield plate that I bought for about nothing and modded to fit the stock instead of buying a 95.00 original rusty Thompson plate. I did have to move screw locations slightly.