#1 Robert Henley

Robert Henley

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 802 posts
  • Interests:NRA Life Benefactor
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:17 PM

What can anyone tell me about the M2 "Enforcer" Iver Johnson.  Is this a C&R gun?

Thanks,

Robert

#2 dalbert

dalbert

Website Owner

• Admin
  • 4589 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:58 PM

I am not aware of any that are C&R yet, but in the next few years, some should begin to reach the 50-year threshold.  It's an Iver Johnson, so the quality may not be USGI, but I've never heard anything bad about them as NFA guns.  Maybe someone else with firsthand experience shooting or owning one can chime in.  Here's a link where you can read up on them...

http://www.m1carbine...carbine_ij.html

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

#3 Black River Militaria CII

Black River Militaria CII

Industry Expert

• Regular Group
  • 685 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:01 PM

If converted prior to the end of the '68 amnesty, an "Enforcer" would be considered C+R. They were made from 1963 into the mid 1980s. After the end of the '68 Amnesty, any converted Plainfields would not be C+R, but remanufactured guns.

I've repaired at least three damaged Plainfield carbines that were converted to full-auto. Metal alloy quality of the receivers is not sufficient to withstand much full auto fire, in my opinion. FWIW

#4 Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs

• Regular Group
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 01:00 AM

IJ did not start producing carbines until 1978, so it will not be C&R eligible until 2028, at least.

#5 Robert Henley

Robert Henley

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 802 posts
  • Interests:NRA Life Benefactor
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida

Posted 04 April 2017 - 02:07 PM

OK, excellent information.

Thanks

#6 HB of CJ

HB of CJ

• Regular Group
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:05 PM

Excellent info and thank you.

#7 geefal

geefal

• Regular Group
  • 149 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 12:45 PM

If converted prior to the end of the '68 amnesty, an "Enforcer" would be considered C+R. They were made from 1963 into the mid 1980s. After the end of the '68 Amnesty, any converted Plainfields would not be C+R, but remanufactured guns.

I've repaired at least three damaged Plainfield carbines that were converted to full-auto. Metal alloy quality of the receivers is not sufficient to withstand much full auto fire, in my opinion. FWIW

Thats interesting you would say that.

I have a factory plainfield m2 which I personally have ran over 7000 rds through (on my second barrel) and untold before I purchased it.

Zero issues.

What do you consider "much full auto fire"?

Edited by geefal, 29 April 2017 - 12:45 PM.

#8 dalbert

dalbert

Website Owner

• Admin
  • 4589 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 12:59 PM

The USMC considered 15,000 rounds the point at which an original M2 Carbine needed to be inspected and overhauled.

BRMCII, by virtue of the type of work he does, will deal with the exceptions, and I'm sure there are some Plainfields that experience issues. It would be interesting to know how many similar issues are experienced with other types of M2 Carbines, both USGI, and commercial.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

#9 geefal

geefal

• Regular Group
  • 149 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:43 AM

Thanks David, I always kinda wondered what they thought the "life" of firearms was expected to be.

#10 Grease Gunner

Grease Gunner

RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 187 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 07:54 AM

Will an Iver Johnson Enforcer or Super Enforcer Drop into a regular stock so it can be shouldered.

Of couurse a tax stamp would be involved but now one could control the beast! It appears from pics that the handguard is too short to

meet up with the barrel band .

Anyone try this or know?

Thanks,everyone!!

#11 ron_brock

ron_brock

Respected Member

• 1763 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:57 PM

Whats the going value for an M2 Universal Enforcer? I may be helping a widow sell one and want to giver her an idea. Ive not seen it yet but am told its registered and marked Universal.

Thanks
Ron

#12 DougStump

DougStump

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 324 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 09:01 AM

I tinkered with a standard semi Iver Johnson for a friend back in 1980, all the parts were soft.  The receiver, bolt, & op-rod were being beaten to death.  I wouldn't shoot it, however it should make a nice table lamp.  The Plainfield that Dad bought for me in 1972 is far superior quality.

Edited by DougStump, 13 December 2017 - 09:03 AM.

#13 Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs

• Regular Group
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 08:38 PM

Iver Johnsons ARE Plainfields. IJ bought Plainfield.

You would have to modify the front of a standard carbine stock to mount the Enforcer action.

There were no M2 Universal Enforcers. All Universal Enfrocers were semi only. Plainfield and IJ made M2 Enforcers.

#14 DougStump

DougStump

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 324 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 08:06 AM

From my experience with them, when IJ bought the Plainfield equipment the quality went down several steps.  I still have the Plainfield Dad bought for me in 1971.  Wouldn't touch an IJ, soft parts.

#15 ron_brock

ron_brock

Respected Member

• 1763 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:54 AM

So in general, need to confirm vintage and nobody is willing to take a stab at value for these things?

Ron