Hi,

I'm new to the board and looking for some direction. My Girlfriends late Husband was a collector of fire arms. He obtained a number of class 3 weapons including a colt 614 rifle.

She has done the necessary forms required to place the weapon in her name and wants to market it. I have little to no knowledge of its value and research is scattered at best. The gun appears in good condition. Looks like he changed the upper out to something a bit shorter as well as the stock to an M4 style?

I did find the original diamond shaped handguard and barrel assembled in a box as well as the original stock.

I'm looking for ideas regarding buyers and value; I understand it's all subjective to condition but I need to start somewhere. The receiver is stamped: model 614

Thanks for any input you guys may have.

Dale

Photographs of the gun would help us give you a much more accurate idea of the possible price you might ask for or achieve. That being said any fully-transferable factory Colt full auto AR15/M16s are getting premium prices these days for some reason. Depending upon the condition of the gun and how many original parts are still with it, I would guess a price of at least 17K to 22K.

Mike Hammer

Dale: I have a very early Colt 614 in my collection. So early as not to be marked 614 simply Colt AR 15. In the 15000 serial number range. How many digits in your serial number, is in the 40 thousand range? Nice gun, I would be interested in buying it if I didn't already have one. The retro forum Robert mentions is where the experts on AR's hang out, I'm sure they would be very interested in seeing your gun.

Mike Hammer

Thank you again for the great feed back and direction. Mike, the ser number: 4057XX is in the 405K range? The gun came all stock and was purchased by the husband in 1989 I believe ( on the form). He also purchased a 9mm upper and had a local gunsmith assemble the gun. It was fired twice according to the wife...and never with the 223 upper. I asked a local gun smith to look the 223 (original) upper over. He reported back that the upper had little to no use. I asked that he look the lower over and received the same report... very little to any use.

She would like to market the gun so I will get on doing that and post some pictures on AR-15 as well.

Thank you again... this has been my first experience with a site such as this and I must say you guys are GREAT!

Dale

I have a COLT 614 so I follow prices to maintain awareness of value.

It will probably sell in less than 30 days at $21,000

I suggest you contact a reputable full auto broker such as Ruben Mendiola. 866-632-9268

He has a reputation for being honest. He will buy the gun for resale, not broker it.

http://dealernfa.com

Recent ad on www.sturmgewehr.com for $23,500

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/nfa4sale.cgi?read=171712

Here are two recent for sale ads at $24,500 at www.subguns.com

http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/index.cgi?db=nfafirearms&website=&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=25327&query=retrieval

http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/index.cgi?db=nfafirearms&website=&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=25431&query=retrieval

Good luck

RFA

Edited by Ready.fire.aim

I personally would not sell this gun to Mendola outright, you can sell this gun on gun-broker.com on your own and

reap the full value at auction. Mendola will low ball the price to you and then mark it up substantially for his profit if he has no competition.

Mike Hammer

I personally would not sell this gun to Mendola outright, you can sell this gun on gun-broker.com on your own and

reap the full value at auction. Mendola will low ball the price to you and then mark it up substantially for his profit if he has no competition.

Mike Hammer

But with Mendiola, you will have peace of mind, cash in hand, and be done with the whole transaction quickly.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

• 2 weeks later...

I had another Board member not too long ago tell me what Rubin bought a gun for and then resold, and I couldn't believe the difference in the prices. As was indicated to me, he is in the business to make money. Of course, that's no surprise but the markup is substantial.

On 3/25/2015 at 4:45 AM, Robert Henley said:

I had another Board member not too long ago tell me what Rubin bought a gun for and then resold, and I couldn't believe the difference in the prices. As was indicated to me, he is in the business to make money. Of course, that's no surprise but the markup is substantial.

Yes, seems to me I've seen Mendola somewhere before....? Casablanca 1943

Mike Hammer

Edited by Mike Hammer

• 2 months later...
If you are not greatly familiar with selling NFA firearms, a pro may be worth the money they make. Not sure about Rubin, but if a dealer is willing to pay ~80% of the retail value I think it is worth leaving it to a pro and letting them make a little. If you do this stuff all the time it might seem silly, but if you don't you could make a costly mistake. Of course the first option would be to see what offers you get from long time established members of this forum. If they offer 85-90% of retail you get an easy fast sale and they get a decent bargain.