Running Moly Coated Bullets in Subguns?

Does anyone have experience running moly coated bullets in a Thompson with a Cutts Compensator?

Trying to determine if they will foul the compensator?

(BTW, I have no experience running lead bullets other than rimfire, so instruction/stories are welcome)

Also, if running jacketed, is there any additional issues I need to keep an eye on when inspecting the Compensator?

Lastly, if you reload for your subguns, what power factor are you needing to cycle with 45 ACP.

(my 9mm 115 grain bullets cycle my MP40 and STEN running a power factor around 145)

(I also have run 147 grain bullets loaded to a similar PF with no issues)

Lastly, what grain bullet do you like to run in your Thompsons?

Haven't played with moly coated bullets so I can't help with that one. For practice and general playing around I've more or less settled on copper plated bullets, specifically Berry's 230 RN, in place of the more expensive FMJs. I load 5.6 of WW231 which duplicates factory ballistics. As with any reload data YMMV.

Agree with StrangerRanger on the Berrys plated. I use a a slightly lower powder charge and look for around 925-950fps. I too use winchester231 or HP38, both being essentially the same powder.

Also, anyone have factory ammo recommendations to run in Thompsons?

I know in 9mm, most off the store bought ammo is not hot enough to fully cycle my bolts. (the bolt cycles but I end up with a mag dump because the bolt is not cycling back far enough to catch the sear)

I know in 9mm, most off the store bought ammo is not hot enough to fully cycle my bolts. (the bolt cycles but I end up with a mag dump because the bolt is not cycling back far enough to catch the sear)

I love S&B. It seems a little hotter than generic bulk stuff like Win white box

Ron

I have never had a problem with any factory 9mm cycling in my Uzi, MP40 or Stens. Sounds more like you have a firearm problem than an ammunition problem.

As for USPSA and like PF, most on here do not use that as a determining factor, FPS is what we generally look for. However if that is what you want to use, the PF of the 9mm I shoot in USPSA matches and in my subguns is 130. You don't get extra points shooting hot.

I moly coat projos for my varmint guns....no copper fouling in the barrels after hundreds of rounds, but those bullets travel north of 3490 fps! Never had a copper problem at .45 acp velocities so would guess moly coating to be an exercise in futility...with not much gain for the trouble. It is a lot of messy work!

Love S&B as far as factory ammo goes.

Penn Bullets offers a Premium alloy hard cast bullet with a double lube that seems to work well when loaded ahead of 700X. Some powders are bad and some are cast bullet friendly when it comes to reloading cast bullets. 700X is great with cast bullets of any kind or calibre.

Quote from Peen Bullets:

"I would suggest that in addition to the premium alloy is for me to dual lube the bullets.
This would be a dry film coating used on military ammunition that is applied by an impact process and then lubed with our synthetic lube in the groove for maximum lubrication"