It's A New Track Record

phil i never figured you would. isn't it nice to know everyday somebody loses some more brain cell's. to be able to pay "real stupid pricing! if they send you "Thompson Cash" the mo the better.wink!

take care,ron

and my dad worked at 'sunbeam" and gramp's at western electric. now both gone from the original spot's on the map!!

i think they called it the "bohemian prison"

well this post ended on a soft note.

now on with the show....frasier thomas. garfield goose and bozo! good time's.take care,ron

"But don't hurry to Z3bigdaddy for advice on this, as he says he agrees with your other point of view...as I knew he would. I was surprised at how long it took him to pop up and seize another opportunity to do what he does best...which I will not characterize...except to say that it also frequently involves horses and mouths, and always feet."

Never miss an a chance to attack me do ya....... I guess if I have a choice I'll take the horse thing over your gig.....

we are not villian's we are keeper's of the holly grail..notice holly not holy!

and we sell the goodie's to whomever has the $$$$$$ if you stab me do we not bleed? if you rake me over the hot coal's do we not burn??

if you offer a spring for $500.00 do they not want??

if you have a part's box do they not yearn?

have fun,spend it all in one place. on the net.wink!

and i think both phil's deserve a round of applause.from old fart's and young turd's alike!!

ron

Phil, my hats off to you. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/hail.gif WOW!

Now what is a 454, 4 bolt main worth. In good condition. It just shows that some people have WAY too much money.

QUOTE (Phil Askew @ Dec 16 2005, 06:12 PM)
Mr Philohio, I am crushed that you would think I'd make-up my spring story. Log on e-bay and search item #4592015546  Even I could not make this up!!!!! I wasn't bragging, but I was trying to make the point that the seller is not the villian !!!!

WOW! With 1202 hits and 19 bids by seven different bidders, that must be one "in demand" item..... You are do man! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/hail.gif

Phil,

I only hope you had two springs and sent a second chance offer to the other bidder. I have done pretty well on ebay but this tops anything I have done. The http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/popcorn.gif is on me http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

I'm one of the old farts (been NFA 34 years now) and although I'm sometimes amazed at the pricing, it really is still based on economics just as a couple of you have posted.

Yes, maybe the internet has been responsible for higher prices, but that could also be explained by the fact that most items are still limited in numbers available, and now with inernet you have opened the market to hundreds of thousands of "prospective customers" where without the internet you would have maybe had a few dozen prospects at local gun shows (except for paying big bucks for print ads, which still reach a much lower number of prospects.)

I bet the same small number of individuals willing to pay that much for a sling would have done so even if they found one at a gunshow at that price.

In a way, the internet is similar to auctions, they both will bring out the top dollar if that one individual who is looking for the item is present at the auction or on that particular internet board.

Advertise the sling in your local newspaper. You might not get one taker, at any price.

Advertise it in Shotgun News and you'll get several looking for it, but few who would pay inordinate price.

Advertise it on the boards and you multiply your chances one hundred fold.

Do you remember having to pay big bucks to mail an ad to a gun publication that wasn't going to hit the mail for 30-60 days?

While it is still done, I'd bet that the majority of us now use the net, ESPECIALLY for accessories or small items.

And one more thing: If the sling was overpriced, NO ONE would buy it. If SOMEONE bought it for that price, then it's a perfect example of the market place at work: Market value is usually defined as: "what a willing buyer and willing seller, at arm's length will pay or ask for a product." Now, if it NEVER sells at that price, then it IS OVERPRICED. But don't complain if someone is willing to pay one's asking price.

Could he have gotten it cheaper with some diligent searching? Absolutley! But if he paid the asking price, then that is what it was worth...to him. It's called the free enterprise system. Just an observation.