Cradle and ammo can holder for the M60

If you want a cradle with an ammo can, what you prob want is a M142 Cradle or H-60 Cradle (both with long pin - not the short pin)

They are up on ebay occasionally,,,

To attach a long-pin cradle it to that specific tripod, you would need something like these:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/808740679

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/819134618

If you can do without the ammo can, just grab a M60 gooseneck pintle (<$100) and you are GTG on that tripod.

M142 is the best bet for that gun on a raised platform and will also run it in D configuration which is a sweet setup! M122's are so low the can is right there on the ground close enough to the gun so as not to require the can be any closer and since you don't swivel it because of the T&E that's all you need. If you want to get up higher a 1917a1 tripod works as well and will hold a box/can. I'd guess a M240 tripod may work as well with an adaptor arrangement and those have hangers for cans/boxes. I just haven't tried that one? HTH

So far the M142 seems like the trick for me to mount on my M122 tripod. I guess sitting height would be OK with one of those adapters but I would rather stand up shooting it. Those adapters on Gunbroker state for sitting.

If you want to stand, buy one of these + the M142

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/819806441

or M142 and this

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/813461991

I like...I like....but doesn't look tall enough on an M122 tripod to stand & fire.....

LOL, How tall are you?!?......

FWIW, the second option above is for a heavy-duty tripod that extends up to 6ft tall...

I'm def intrigued to see what you end up choosing...

The M1917 tripod stands taller than the M122. The Gunbroker ad shows that extension on a M1917 tripod.

The 1917a1 is substantially taller than a 1919 tripod. The extension posted is close to the same price as a USGI extension which is fairly rare. If you are going non-US standup you may as well get an MG42 AA mount, pull out the socket and turn down the shaft on the front gooseneck and you'll be into a complete setup for under $500? You can raise and lower those much higher than the above options and stabilize them fairly easily. If I didn't have all the junk I have right now and wanted a "shooter" that's what I'd do. I have that set up for an MG42 with D-gun spades

Currently mine's set up on a jeep mount pedestal with the M142 on top and bolted to a nice display finish plywood on the bottom and that works well for me, and especially well when you put the D- kit on and stand behind it.

The M1917 tripod stands taller than the M122. The Gunbroker ad shows that extension on a M1917 tripod.

The 1917a1 is substantially taller than a 1919 tripod. The extension posted is close to the same price as a USGI extension which is fairly rare. If you are going non-US standup you may as well get an MG42 AA mount, pull out the socket and turn down the shaft on the front gooseneck and you'll be into a complete setup for under $500? You can raise and lower those much higher than the above options and stabilize them fairly easily. If I didn't have all the junk I have right now and wanted a "shooter" that's what I'd do. I have that set up for an MG42 with D-gun spades

Currently mine's set up on a jeep mount pedestal with the M142 on top and bolted to a nice display finish plywood on the bottom and that works well for me, and especially well when you put the D- kit on and stand behind it.

Since I have a M122 tripod already I wanted to be able to utilize it rather than buy another whole tripod for $750.00 and up....

I do like johnsonlmg41's idea of using a modified M60 gooseneck pintle on a MG42 AA tripod.

That + a London bridge 100rd ammo pouch and you are GTG (https://lbtinc.com/products/0261)

Very very light relative to everything else being discussed...

I've got extra of all that stuff just laying around, so, I might just give building that setup a whirl...

Wish I had a milling machine to turn down a gooseneck pintle or make an adapter...

I guess I could turn it by hand slowly on a grinder....

Any other suggestions?

You will find the M122 tripod fairly unstable if you place an extension on it that raises the gun and ammo more than a foot or so above the tripod head. The 1917 tripod with long extension is unstable unless you flatten the legs body and sand bag it. Best bet is to get an after market cheap tripod, or use the M2 50 cal tripod which is heavier, wider and a better more stable platform. Add an extension and the M142 to it. The M60 can accommodate the Helo door mount ammo holder ( found all the time on the bay) and it attaches to the feed tray hanger. Otherwise, I always used to bring along my personal ammo box holder when I went to Govt training events ( I always brought my own sling and ammo bags for the SAW and the M60 to use in Training and drill events ) - London Bridge ( Link in post above) makes the best soft one, but I have an Eagle brand one on the bay right now. It is overly complicated but works to hold the 100 rd boxes.

Edited by MG08

The perfect setup utilizing an M3 50 cal tripod would be to put the A.A. 50M1 elevator on it, since it has a large pintle socket on top that will hold the M142 mount without modifications and has three extra legs. That would be very stable, but not real cheap, since you need that and an M3. Probably looking 8-900 for the M3 and 500 for the AA mount.

I have a spare elevator mount for sale that does not have the .50 cal cradle, so it's ready to go should someone feel the need? I don't have any spare M3's, but have friends that may?

I also have a spare helo mount for sale, but then you need the cardboard boxes which are not that great and it's big. Best bet is to go with the old USGI heavy canvas one with supports or the Capco boxes. those both clip right on and are not soft and saggy.

Adding any extension to an M2 tripod will not work out well as MG08 points out.

• 8 months later...