M60 AA tripod

Do you mean a mount originally designed for it ? there really was not an "AA" mount. at least not USGI. People are adapting the German MG3 AA mounts, but if you are looking for an original mount, the various pedestals holding the M142 cradle is the closest thing. anti aircraft fire was not really a design criteria for the M60......

Do you mean a mount originally designed for it ? there really was not an "AA" mount. at least not USGI. People are adapting the German MG3 AA mounts, but if you are looking for an original mount, the various pedestals holding the M142 cradle is the closest thing. anti aircraft fire was not really a design criteria for the M60......

I know but I have seen M60's on AA mounts. Was wondering where I could get a set-up like that?

I have an M142 mount on a jeep pedestal that is mounted to plywood (because it was fast an easy) It's plenty stable and it works when I put the D kit on it as well. I suppose if I needed an upgrade I'd pick up an aftermarket pedestal that adjusts/ telescopes to change heights, but mine fits the bill as is. I set up an HK21 on the MG3 AA mounts and while they are convenient, they are not that stable, especially for that gun. That was back when they were $99. That's not longer the case either so to me the M142 is the way to go if I were starting from scratch. That whole setup makes a correct display as well vs. the M3 mount which looks bad and is hard on my floor. HTH

Some pics of "AA" mounts ? I guess I am still not sure what you are asking about - Converting other mounts to the M60 ? Post above covered the German AA mounts, these are light, and in my opinion (based on watching guys almost fall over and shoot the leaves out of the trees over the berm) not terribly safe when not fire at airplanes because of their tendency to tip over when fired with auto weapons horizontally. There just was no US designated AA tripod for the gun. The Jeep pedestal is one of the best options with the M142 cradle. The pedestals and brace legs were used in the M151 Jeeps and were sold back in the "old days" fairly cheap as demils. I have two welded back together, and one original in my M151. they will hold pretty much any lage pintle cradle.

If you have the Helo, Here is my XM23 Huey door gunner mount. Note "custom" Mount holder and tactical chair for gunner.

DSCN6774.JPG

Here is an option for use on the pedestal with an adapter for HMMV turrets and a goose neck pintle

DSC05390.JPG

The jeep pedestal on the plywood base works well, I have two and as you can see you can adapt to lot of different set ups. The M142 cradle will drop right into the pedestal. ( so will any large pintle mount) I am sure others have good ideas too-

DSCN6770.JPG

Or you can go the high dollar route - the swing arm mounts can be used with any pintle type cradle. this one is not mine, but was one I was working out of owned by a mfg firm that does development work for USG and JSOC. I m working on getting them to trade it to me for working on stuff :)

IMG_2004.JPG

Edited by MG08

The xm23's are available from Crane and look pretty novel, but unless you have a huey, not so practical since you need to make ground bracing it becomes cumbersome. I had considered a hummer as a mount, but friends who have them tell me when you shoot (especially out the sides) the suspension rocks so much you have a hard time hitting anything? Guys with M35's report much more stability......but get killed on garage space! I had two Stalwarts I was going to set up, but again garage space and 35mph top speed, killed that so those went down the road even though it was an awesome platform.

It all circles back to the jeep mount/m142 as being the easiest and most practical with the ammo can holder on it.

I provided the gun and got a chance to shoot for this video

and while an immense amount of fun I was surprised at how the recoil even into my shoulder while sitting on the floor with my feet out on the skids was enough to rock the chopper and throw you significantly off target. Had I known they were going to sell it I probably would have jumped on that one regardless. The mount came off my truck rack....someone else provided the duct tape! According to Gunny that was an unofficial mount often used in Nam. Those were the days!

I have posted before about the issue of a M2 50 cal rocking a HUMVEE, and the XM23 mount was just a cool beans trade deal..... when we were shooting all four MGs out of the HUMVEE at one time it was quite a trip - glad I was on the 50 up top. We built a little rack to hold the XM23 mount, and the tactical gunners chair was an obvious choice.

I would love to find a Huey cabin section - mount on a trailer and rig for a couple MGs, just to be different. If anyone knows of one let me know.

I think that Aaron guy had one for sale...course IIRC the price you might be able to get a Maremont gun for the same price or less?

You could try the Russel museum on the state line in Kenosha, WI, he has a bunch of air frames sitting outside that he's into cheap and the long term for that place doesn't look promising so he might part with one or would know where where that stuff is laying?

If you got the cabin and cut it, sealed off the ends or set it up that way it would be a heck of a lot cooler than everyone's ez-up and good for a light shower and keep you dry and out of the sun! Course if you had 4 you could set them up on solenoids and sit in the front at the stick.

Wait a couple weeks and you can get a 737 cabin section for next to nothing?

Are they still doing that prarie du chien shoot...perfect spot for that.

No one should be without a tactical chair!

I was serious about the air frame - Trophy wife will not be happy about that, or she will want the M2HB mount in the copilot seat... If you have contact info for a seller send it on -

I am hoping the Prairie D shoot will be on, as it was cancelled last year for excess water. We were thinking of going out to the Big Sandy - but the pandemic caused me to hesitate and then they cancelled for excess water too. I have some new stuff to try out, and bunch of ammo belted up to unbelt.

http://www.russellmilitarymuseum.com/ Mark Sonday is the owner. I've never been in there, but it's right next to the highway and most of the stuff is outside so it's clearly visible. I'm not really into vehicles so it's out of my wheelhouse. There are pics on tripavisor showing a lot of hueys, and I see some from the road, but there's a lot of stuff there and at 80 in traffic I'm not able to see it all?

Sell her on how cool she'd look in a flight jacket and tinted visor helmet? Curled bloned hair Kelly Mcgillis look....back then, not now.

Went to that shoot two years ago to recon it, but packed light, stayed a few hours (pretty hot) shot what we had and had big plans for last year to bring a lot of stuff and an ez-up but never got notice? In fact never got another notice from that group again? I do recall it being a little moist down there, but chalked it up to fresh cow patties? HTH

• 4 weeks later...

While not totally up in the air, you can sit on a bucket comfortably vs. laying on the ground with this mount. Vintage pig stuff you don't see every day and you could run a D kit this way and just press the spades. If you want to aim with sights and all that, it's more of a process to crouch down, but no layin' in the dirt! :)

IMG_81251.JPG

IMG_81261.JPG

• 6 months later...