Modifying Mag Catch Detail

A year or so ago someone sent me the link to modifying a mag catch to work on mil spec box magazines.

It got deleted (DOH!) when someone (DOH!) was cleaning up his hard drive.

Now I have the mag catch and a handfull of mags and don't know what I need to cut off the catch to make it work properly on my Kahr Semi.

Thanks in advance...

P.S. I looked in the FAQ, but it's not there..... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif

QUOTE (Mike45 @ Mar 11 2004, 02:12 PM)
Coz, I have never had a semi but I would think that with a GI catch & GI mag it should work without any mod.

Apparently you have to take about .100 of the piece that protrudes into the mag.

I think it's because the ones sold by numrich or whomever are M1A1 spares....but, I could be wrong.

I know I installed mine and tried the mag and it did not work....

PK or someone sent me the link or the document....so stupid.....I thought I printed it out....but it's gone..

Dylan,

Thanks!

I have a friend that loves to do metal work and has the right tools and stuff, and he wanted to do this for me.

The guy actually makes replacement screws for his Mausers.....

I think he could make some bucks making replacement screws for thompsons.....

I'm sure someone has purchase one with bungled up screws..

Quality notwithstanding, there isn't any real difference dimensionally between the magazine catches. The reason semi-auto magazines are modified is because the semi-auto receivers are 1/10 inch shorter than the full-auto receivers, thus the magazines need to be modified to sit a corresponding 1/10 inch lower in order to fit and feed. Like the link posted above shows (from nfatoys.com) you'll need to reduce the top of the magazine catch by .1 inch to use unmodified magazines. IMHO, that'd be a whole lot easier than trying to hand fit each and everyone of your magazines.

I have some...

We took off .1 from the top of the mag catch with a dovetail cutter. We were able to keep the correct contour and the engagement groove this way. This can be done with some carefull filing. Just go slow and take a little at a time so as not to go to far. You are left with a little nub. Good modification for a semi. Hate to see good smg mags get ruined.

Best,

Damon