Magazine Disassembly

I just got a few mags that appear to have a good coating of grease inside of them.

Is all there is to disassembling these guys, removing the bottom and releasing the spring?

Is there any trick to removing the bottom that I should know about?

Will the use of WD40 on these cause them to blow up in my face or any other such disaster?

Also, are those british modified (soldering in the holes) XX magazines worth much?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks

Kenneth

You're right, all there is to it is to remove the base and the spring and follower will come free. A small flat bladed screwdriver with the blade about the same size as the rectangular hole on the base is very helpful. Be sure to lift the retaining tab only far enough to clear the back of the hold open channel or it will bend.

WD-40 works well for cleaning out old grease, but so does bore cleaner, helped along by a 12 ga. bore brush.

I use good old GI rifle grease on the inside of my XX and XXX magazines. As I generally shoot WWII surplus corrosive ammo, I take the mags apart for cleaning after each shooting session.

I have had good luck using Simple Green to cut and clean grease. Does not screw up any plastic that it might touch in the house and smells nice. I soaked about 6 mags in a bucket of the stuff and they came out nice after a little brushing.

Try placing them upside down in a disposable bread pan then in the oven on low for about 10 minutes.

This gets rid of the bulk of it still leaving a coating to protect from rust.

Thanks everybody. I have an advantage. I am the operator of the kitchen,

its MY kitchen as I often tell everyone. Its the only way I can have good food!

I will try the oven trick this weekend.

Thanks again,

Kenneth

KENNETH

The mags with the holes soldered or welded up are certainly worth more down here under. They were used in the desert by our WW2 troups in North Africa and the welds were to keep the sand out of the Mag.

I have about 46 mags and have only one with the holes welded up.

They sell for about NZ$100 here which is about US$58 each.

Regards and keep on with the collecting. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

I am glad you run your own kitchen. If I told my wife I was going to put Tommy Gun mags in the oven she would have a fit!

The source of mags like you have is

www.whatacountry.com

Just ask for them. The last time I spoke to him, he said he had hundreds of them.

Take care.

Jr