8mm or .308

83Baron

Hello everyone. I recently pulled the trigger on a 1944 bring back c&r 42, and am excited to learn more about this iconic weapon. That said, I will probably not fire it with the original bolt and barrel since as far as I can tell everything is matching or mostly matching. What I'm wondering is for preservation purposes, is it better just to convert to .308 and avoid 8mm altogether, or is 8 mm not too abrasive as long as you clean it well after a shoot. Also, any one who has a .308 conversion kit for sale I would be interested. Thanks for the advice! Edited by 83Baron

Only very early 42s had parts numbered to the receiver and quite a few registered 42s have one or several matching parts, such as a matching feedtray or rear sight, etc. Very few 42s have all correct matching parts, and sometimes barrel and bolt. Owners have added numbers to parts which are easy to tell since matching up font style and size is extremely difficult. A matching barrel or bolt might be worth putting aside and saving but no other parts are especially vulnerable to wearing out. Having spare bolts and barrels is always a good idea and if you are going to shoot it a lot a couple extra sears and triggers with di connectors will be helpful.

Use of a "bolt catch" is mandatory. There ar e five different styles of catches, which are spring loaded devices tat assemble into the bolt body and act as delayed hammer to eliminate bolt bounce and roller oscillation. Bounce can create out-of-battery ignition with damaging consequences to topcover and bottom of receiver so do not run your gun without the bolt catch. These devices were not used during wartime and were a post war development, but are essential when using standard rifle ammunition.

Corrosive ammo is not a problem if you immerse any combustion exposed parts in boiling water with a bit of ammonia in it. Bolt head and breech end of barrel, muzzle fitting and boosters all need this treatment. iMmersing the muzzle threads in. Oiling water will remove the salts from that exposed area. Hosing the barrel out with boiling water will eliminate corrosive salts.

There is a tubular device laying inside the receiver under the left side rail called a "recuperator" housing. The job of this device is to propel the recoiling barrel back forward to rest as fast as possible. For for reliable and safe function the barrel must return to rest between shots. The springs must be in tip top condition. Compromised springs, meaning broken or having taken a set, in this housing can affect running of the gun and can produce, sometimes, an out-of -battery ignition. Once you are familiar with your gun, you can disassemble the housing from the receiver and send it t o me and I'll check it to see if the springs are in good condition or need replacement.

42s are extremely reliable and fairly robust for the stresses imparted during firing, and great fun to shoot. There is no way to save ammo except to not shoot it.......

Good luck!

Thank you Bob for the thorough overview. I will definitely heed your advice. As far as conversion goes, i believe you can find 8mm non corrosive from prvi, so would you run that or save wear and tear and only run the .308 with the conversion kit. Thanks again!

There is no difference between 8mm and .308 in regard to wear and tear as the two rounds have very similar specs. Impact vibration of different frequencies tends to do a lot of damage over time to rivets and welded areas. The design seems to strike a very good balance between the mechanical tendency towards self destruction and reliability. There have been only very minor changes to the design since the first wartime production gun came off the line and recent production in the form of the MG3. A lot like the Brownings in this regard.

Thank you Bob and Mike. Good to know the conversion is not necessary as long as you clean well and find good ammo. Mike, do you shoot the Prvi 8mm Mauser? I know it's not necessarily cheap but at least non corrosive and have seen it out there. What brand of 8mm or 7.92x57 do you usually fire? Thanks. I'll have to post some pics when I get it.

I have tens of thousands of rounds of brass non corrosive 198g Portuguese surplus, so that's what I shoot. Best ammo out there for the 42. I was looking for it, found two guys that had it, so I bought it all.

If I ever run out, I'll probably just start shouting 308. It's easy to get, and it all goes bang at the end of the day, even if 8mm is a hair faster.