Getting The Young Folks Hooked...

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4626 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 03 January 2004 - 01:47 PM

And here's a little Dillinger. Oh his mother will love me.

#22 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4626 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 03 January 2004 - 01:49 PM

And of course here he is with the M1. cool.gif

#23 john

john

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 552 posts

Posted 03 January 2004 - 07:36 PM

Thanks Mike!
Your Grandson is drooling ALMOST as much as me!! (I don't have an M1 yet.....)
BTW, mu son is named SAM.....will have to dig out and post his Tommygun pics!!

john

#24 Sig

Sig

Respected Member and Board Benefactor

• 1634 posts

Posted 03 January 2004 - 08:08 PM

Mike
The world needs more grandpa's like you.

My total anti-gun sister has recently warmed enough to let the nephew
now go paintball shooting and also get an airsoft gun.
(neither of these are my passion)
I like to think I had a slight influence since I was asked to bring him paintball shooting.
Little steps one by one.
I am not going to introduce a Colt Thompson, YET!
Maybe one day when the time is right.

#25 MP43

MP43

• Regular Group
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Military Sniper Rifles, Lugers, 50s Vintage Ford Ragtops. <br>new into the SMG clan. My SMG is a Reising 55 and now looking to buy a Thompson.

Posted 03 January 2004 - 10:02 PM

This is my two cents on getting young people involved. After many years a member in the CTCI (Classic Thunderbird Club International) I resigned last year. The club was run by a bunch of narrow minded old dinosaurs. They would not reccognize any Thunderbird unless it was a so called "Classic" The Corvette club and the Mustang club on the other hand has a young and growing membership. The last straw was when the elitists in the club would not accept the new two seater T Bird as a "real" T Bird. Sound familiar? Dinosaurs die out with no replacements. FYI no replacements or Turtles as we called them in the Army means no one to replace us and buy our T Birds or Thompsons when we are ready to sell them. Thank God they still make Mustangs, Cobras and Corvetts. Thank God for Westies. Thank God for KAR. How does anyone expect a normal young person to become interested much less an active participant in this very expensive hobby without them? Once they get hooked they can trade up on the appreciation their entry level gun is making. If they don't make that first buy, the price escalation will leave them in the dust. I have listened to this ongoing debate about real vs. unreal Thompsons since Dec. 20 when I joined this forum. I have learned a lot. I believe the more people in this game the better for everyone and the younger the people the brtterer for everyone. Some of you folks need to lighten up just a little or they will bury you with your 21s because there will be no one to take them off your wifes hands at a price you told her it would be worth. As I said at the beginning of this post, just my two cents. Please give it some thought. ph34r.gif Hank

#26 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3471 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 11:39 AM

Thank God for Westies. Thank God for KAR. How does anyone expect a normal young person to become interested much less an active participant in this very expensive hobby without them? Once they get hooked they can trade up on the appreciation their entry level gun is making.

MP43,
Semi-auto WH's sold for under $350 when they came out in 1975. They now fetch $700 for used samples. That is not the kind of resale appreciation that will allow the seller to purchase a full auto gun with the profits today, or any other day.

#27 MP43

MP43

• Regular Group
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Military Sniper Rifles, Lugers, 50s Vintage Ford Ragtops. <br>new into the SMG clan. My SMG is a Reising 55 and now looking to buy a Thompson.

Posted 04 January 2004 - 12:01 PM

Phil, Let me know where you are in Ohio. I too am a worthless nut. Read Buckeye. I had no idea the Kahr was such a piece of C###. I almost baught a M1 version last month that a neighborhood cop had turned into a SBR. I went and looked at it. Gun looked great complete with pinned front sight. It was offered for $775.00 and I pay tax. Since Kahr now offers this rig for $1,350 I thought it to be a good deal.
Two days later I saw that he had reduced his price to $750.00. Gun was listed on non NFA section of SUBGUNS.con. I immediately called him and he told me he changed his mind and decided not to sell the gun. Go figure. Probably for the best. What really bothers me is the indecision of our local police officers. How do they operate on the job? The trigger pull was like a long bad antique revolver. I agree with you that poor quality firearms do more harm than good. I will not thank God for Kahrs any longer. With reference to my MP43. It is early fxo Sn. 25xx dated 1943. I do not shoot it. I have 5 boxes of original ammo at 15 rounds per box in the strippers. I am planning to reload for it and use self control and shoot it like a semiauto. I keep it because of its historical value. Did you see that one went for $19,000. I don't believe it. My gun is still in legal Dewat form and all I need is a barrel and I will send gun to Ohio Ord. for fix and pay the big tax. There is one on the market right now for $18,000. I believe these gun are $9,000 guns. What do you think?
Hank

#28 Balder

Balder

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 293 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 05:58 PM

Hi all,

I just had to post this pic of my daughter, taken 3 years ago. And yes, I know that she should have worn glasses...

Regards,

Balder

Attached Files

#29 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts
  • Interests:Guns (Thompsons, Lugers, and Walthers mostly), History, Politics, Education, Nature, etc.

Posted 04 January 2004 - 06:03 PM

That's a great photo Balder! smile.gif Thanks for sharing!! biggrin.gif That's what I like to see, get the women involved too! ohmy.gif biggrin.gif blink.gif cool.gif Regards, Walter

#30 MP43

MP43

• Regular Group
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 06:15 PM

[SIZE=1][SIZE=1][SIZE=1]Probably right Arthur, probably right. But with all this nit picking, I think you may have missed the point that I was trying to make. Sorry and shame on me, I didn't even think about semi auto WHs. What was your first auto? Mine was not a Rolls. I aint no lawyer sir and I don't try to talk or think like one. As someone stated earlier, "It really doesn't matter" and lets lighten up a bit. I'm out of here. Hank (The new kid just trying to fit in.)mad.gif

#31 John Jr

John Jr

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1956 posts
  • Interests:Plenty

Posted 04 January 2004 - 06:36 PM

Blader, Nice sling swivel. Here is a close up of mine. Is your a brit Thompson?
JR

Attached Files

#32 Balder

Balder

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 293 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 06:40 PM

John Jr,

Yep, mine is a Brit gun, S-245XX. The swivel is not marked like yours though, it has the "Broad Arrow" and nothing else.

Balder

#33 John Jr

John Jr

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1956 posts
  • Interests:Plenty

Posted 04 January 2004 - 06:46 PM

MP43, don't worry about Arthur. I don't. He is one of those dinosaur types from the car club you were talking about. Hes about the only one like that on the board these days, and the rest of us are regular folks.

Stick around, I'm 29 and part of the younger crowd I guess.

Jr

#34 mp40

mp40

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Collecting guns(what else?) cars (fords) and collecting modelguns (a primarily Japanese hobby, plastic/zinc hi-tech cap guns)

Posted 04 January 2004 - 06:52 PM

29?????? I didn't take the John JR seriously enough...That's cool though! wish I could have had an fa Thompson that early in life!!!! And i am only 39!!! But this f'n state! prehaps this year, I will fix the problem.