NAC Thompson Gun

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#21 DEC46

DEC46

• Regular Group
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 December 2003 - 07:13 PM

TSMGguy, I'll second that. My NAC suffixed 1928A1 has all the right parts also and the only difference from any other WW2 Thompson are the three letters after the serial number NAC. It even has the wheel ordnance stamp and WB inspector stamp. It came out of a police department years ago. I've read somewhere that when Numerich first purchased the company, they found a cache of Thompsons that they didn't realize that they had and were not registered at the time and the Goverment made them add the suffix NAC to all these. They are identical to any other WW2 Thompson out there.

#22 TSMGguy

TSMGguy

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2121 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, old airplanes, and guns.

Posted 31 December 2003 - 07:33 PM

Interesting point there, DEC46: Your gun, like mine, has ordnance bomb, GEG and RLB receiver stamps. It was my understanding that these stamps were applied only when the guns were completed, inspected, and ordnance accepted. These marks were not applied prior to assembly (if I've read the references right!)

There have also been references to Numrich having to pay transfer fees on a number of completed TSMGs found in the crated Kilgore physical assets. Could these be a couple of those guns?

The gentleman from whom I purchased my gun (sn. S-332xxx), owned it for 35 years; his form 4 lists a sporting goods store in Tennesee.

Wishing a great 2004 to all!

#23 hawksnest

hawksnest

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1006 posts
  • Interests:Class III weapons

Posted 31 December 2003 - 08:20 PM

TSMGguy and DEC46: My NAC suffixed 1928A1 has the ordnance bomb, GEG and RLB, plus British proofs on right front side of receiver and "Tommy Gun" on top of receiver in front of Lyman ladder sight. Serial # S-165xxx NAC. It is BEAUTIFUL and I love it.

#24 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts
  • Interests:Guns (Thompsons, Lugers, and Walthers mostly), History, Politics, Education, Nature, etc.

Posted 01 January 2004 - 03:50 PM

I second Chris's motion for some photos, gentlemen! I can only envy you guys and your orphans. Here in N.Y. , even orphans are illegal. mad.gif blink.gif It was, in the not too distant past, a noble thing to take care of orphans. I submit that it still is! smile.gif rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif Regards, Walter

#25 TSMGguy

TSMGguy

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2121 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 05:09 PM

Here we go; let's try this photo posting thing! This is poor little NAC orphan S-332xxxNAC, a M1928A1 TSMG. It has some later features including plain pivot, safety, and actuator, but retains stock with no crossbolt, "bright" bolt, and intricate Lyman rear sight. Has ordnance bomb, GEG, and RLB stamps and Thompson logo on top, but no "TOMMY GUN' stamp on upper receiver. Highly minty and runs like a fine watch. Point of aim is point of impact.

Attached Files

#26 TSMGguy

TSMGguy

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2121 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 05:13 PM

And another. . .

Attached Files

#27 TSMGguy

TSMGguy

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2121 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 05:16 PM

And lastly (wish I could figure out how to post more than one photo per reply!). . .

Attached Files

#28 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts
  • Interests:Guns (Thompsons, Lugers, and Walthers mostly), History, Politics, Education, Nature, etc.

Posted 01 January 2004 - 05:36 PM

Very nice gun TSMGguy! I only wish I had one like it! smile.gif blink.gif rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif Regards, Walter

#29 DEC46

DEC46

• Regular Group
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 05:41 PM

Below is my NAC Thompson. I'll have to admit that I refinished my wood and added a vertical front grip but kept the original horizontal one. I also replaced the 28 actuator with a 21 type since I bought this as a shooter(also keeping my 28 actuator) The only thing that I don't like about it is the late model L rear site. It runs great and have not had a bit of trouble with it since I bought it back in 1990. It came out of a local police dept. along with 2 other Thompsons. One was identical to mine while the third one was British stamped. All three were suffix stamped NAC.

Attached Files

#30 hawksnest

hawksnest

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1006 posts
  • Interests:Class III weapons

Posted 01 January 2004 - 05:47 PM

DEC46 and TSMGguy: Absolutely Beautiful! cool.gif

#31 TSMGguy

TSMGguy

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2121 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 05:49 PM

DEC46: Beautiful, beautiful! Personally, I like the "L" type rear sight. It is just as functional and historical as the earlier adjustable model. Keep 'em coming, guys!

#32 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 06:00 PM

DEC46, That is a great gun! smile.gif biggrin.gif Thanks for sharing and you can always shop around for the type of sight you like. There are still plenty out there, but they are rising in price! mad.gif ohmy.gif blink.gif Regards, Walter

#33 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3453 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 06:13 PM

Those suffix NAC guns with British proofs and GeG stamps were undoubtedly complete guns imported during the 1950's.

The following is a quote from board member Jim Thompson concerning the "NAC" Prefix(NAC-2, NAC-15, etc) Thompson's once owned by Curtis Earl:

"This gun is a "FAKE" of sorts, but still a fascinating piece of Thompson history. It is NOT J. Curtis Earl who did the fakery, but he knew and told me the tale. After World War II, Auto Ordnance/Numrich found a handy way to make money off the Thompson's reputation: take "overrun" receivers from the Colt batch or EVEN Savage receivers, remark them, fit them with whatever parts were lying around, and market them as the "gangster gun" M1921. Most of these "factory fakes" (what I call them) bear NAC prefixes. The finishes/refinishes and microscopic examination make it obvious what was done, and this can all be traced to West Hurley." Jim Thompson

#34 The1930sRust

The1930sRust

Respected Member and Board Donor

• 1939 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, obviously. Proud West Hurley 1928 and Savage M1 owner, cave explorer, and KSP trooper (retired). Also interested in 1920-1930 American history. I appreciate all Thompson models and their owners.

Posted 01 January 2004 - 07:37 PM

And what Jim says is gospel, huh? I would be, and have been, extremely offended if someone referred to my beautiful Thompson as a fake. Arthur, why don't you just think before you post (like I should be now) and be nice? Your constant derision of these modern post war Thompson's serves no useful purpose here and is getting very irritating...

#35 TSMGguy

TSMGguy

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2121 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 07:45 PM

Grrrr, get em, Chris! I have a noted weakness for TSMGs of all stripes. No microscopic examination for me! It has been great over the years of ownership of the above to find out that it is original in all respects, though. The fun is in the shooting. I recently took my left-leaning lawyer brother-in-law for his first ever shoot. What better place to start than a M1928A1. He was fully aware of the history involved; I didn't have to say a word. Watching him load and fire the L and XXX magazines, grinning and appreciative, is never to be forgotten. Of course, he thought that "these things were outlawed!".

I have an old L-4 Cub, a 1943 model. There, we say, "Keep 'em flying!" How about, "Keep 'em shooting!".

#36 DEC46

DEC46

• Regular Group
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 07:59 PM

TSMGguy, I agree with you completely. All Thompsons are a work of art and I'd be more than thrilled with anyone of them. By the way, your Thompson is in great shape. Did you do any work on the wood or is that all original? It looks like the day it was originally manufactured.

#37 TSMGguy

TSMGguy

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2121 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 08:20 PM

DEC46, I just got lucky, as we all do from time to time. It is untouched with no sanding or oil to the original wood finish. This is the original stain. It is only good fortune the the wood matches for grain. The original Dulite finish is about 99.9%. The first owner took extraordinary care of the gun, for which I'll always be appreciative. He was a hand loader, though, and there is a little clogging in the compensator from using cast bullets. It is just part of the gun's history; I have made no effort to remove it.

#38 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3453 posts

Posted 01 January 2004 - 08:24 PM

Chris,
There is no offense intended. I still have a West Hurley type Thompson bought in 1976. I knew at the time it was not a real Thompson. This thread was started by MP40 asking what was the origin of "N.A.C Thompson's". I posted info regarding the prefix NAC's. People swear by the Thompson authorities such as Cox, Richardson, Herigstad, Hill, etc, but there are those who get incensed when these same experts focus on the geneology of Thompson history and document the fact that Thomspon production ended in 1944. I don't think the dissemination of this fact was, or is, meant to cause consternation for post WWII subgun owners.

#39 The1930sRust

The1930sRust

Respected Member and Board Donor

• 1939 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, obviously. Proud West Hurley 1928 and Savage M1 owner, cave explorer, and KSP trooper (retired). Also interested in 1920-1930 American history. I appreciate all Thompson models and their owners.

Posted 01 January 2004 - 08:45 PM

Understood. It's just that your opinion of post war Thompsons differs from many others here, and seems to smack of condescension. Perhaps that is your goal (it works) or just the way your post "come off". I just get a little tired of having my Thompson dragged through the soil. And I do uphold your knowledge! I don't see any practical purpose for your post war Thomspon rhetoric. We all know how you, and Doug, and Gordon (and...) feel. Regardless of whether our Thompsons are regarded by some as replicas, fakes, orphans, or whatever...so what? What purpose is served by rubbing it in our faces, as it were? None I can see, and it just serves to drive a wedge between us and you. When I bought my West Hurley, I was completeley aware of when it was built, and the 'controversy' surrounding them (thanks in part to this board, Subguns.com, and Steave Wayman). It didn't matter in the leats (sorry, wine) to me. I guess I was after the look and mystique of the Thomspon, which undeniably was given additional life by all the Thompsons produced after 1944. Now, if there is any of us out there who bought a Westy and assumed it most definitely had been carried by Capone himself, caveat emptor. But, I think most people who hold one knows it for what it is: a version of the most wonderful weapon ever devised? Why make anyone who owns one feel inferior, when the reason they bought it was for the love of the concept? Can we agree on that? Also, I'd like to take some of your earier posts and and them to the FAQ regarding the NAC's, which I inadvertently forgot to mention, if that is acceptible...

(P.S.: I cannot believe AF owns a WH!)

Attached Files

#40 John Jr

John Jr

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1956 posts
  • Interests:Plenty

Posted 01 January 2004 - 08:47 PM

West Hurleys are not fakes. All Thompsons that are transferrable are real. You wanna see a fake Thompson?

Have a look, this one is a fake and its not real.

PS. Arthur you are asking for it dude.

Attached Files