54 replies to this topic

#1 John Jr

John Jr

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1956 posts
  • Interests:Plenty

Posted 04 January 2004 - 04:05 PM

This is probably a stupid idea, but I thought I would toss it out there for you guys to comment on.

I was thinking of having a/ hosting a real-time voice chat. There is a little program out there that is free and the sound is VERY clear on it. One would have to download the client version and have a microphone and speakers to participate, but speakers would get you in for the listening part. www.ventrilo.com

Topics could range from newbie questions to advanced Thompson chat. If anyone is interested or has any comments, post em. If you want to try it, we can tonight (once I figure out how to be the host). I would say sometime like 7-8pm CDT tonight.

Jr

#2 kyle

kyle

• Regular Group
  • 258 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 05:25 PM

Great idea. I'd log in. We did this for a while on the FAL board I frequent. People got bored and quit participating but it was fun while it lasted.

#3 John Jr

John Jr

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1956 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 05:31 PM

If anyone is interested in trying it heres how you use this software if you dont already have it (lots of gamers use this software)

Download the client version:

CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE DOWNLOAD PAGE

Read the setup information after you install it and the IP is currently running at this number

Port is default.

Use your board name as your username.

If you come on the server, start talking and I will come in if I hear you. We will try it officially at 7pm CDT but you can join before then and chat if you want.

John Jr

#4 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts
  • Interests:Guns (Thompsons, Lugers, and Walthers mostly), History, Politics, Education, Nature, etc.

Posted 04 January 2004 - 06:47 PM

John, Jr., I downloaded the program. However, I don't have a mic. and when I tried to set up, it said, 'port not available.' blink.gif ohmy.gif Not sure what to do? cool.gif Regards, Walter

#5 John Jr

John Jr

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1956 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 06:54 PM

Thats strange, I see where full auto 45 connected and all, I am not sure. Check the website and see if there is any help in the troublshooting section. If FA 45 connected, You should be able to as well.

The port is the default one and is like 3784 and its open and working

Off to get the pizza.

Jr

#6 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts
  • Interests:Guns (Thompsons, Lugers, and Walthers mostly), History, Politics, Education, Nature, etc.

Posted 04 January 2004 - 06:56 PM

Thanks Jr., I'll try to download it again. smile.gif cool.gif Regards, Walter

#7 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 07:08 PM

John, Jr., try speaking, I think I'm connected! biggrin.gif

#8 John Jr

John Jr

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1956 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 07:31 PM

Alright, we have a couple of guys in already, we need more to join!

John Jr

#9 mp40

mp40

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Collecting guns(what else?) cars (fords) and collecting modelguns (a primarily Japanese hobby, plastic/zinc hi-tech cap guns)

Posted 04 January 2004 - 07:33 PM

Ya, but with microphones!!!

#10 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 07:42 PM

John, I'll try to pick up a microphone at Radioshack or Wallmart tomorrow! C'mon guys, join up; It's painless! biggrin.gif ohmy.gif blink.gif smile.gif cool.gif Regards, Walter

#11 mp40

mp40

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 591 posts
  • Interests:Collecting guns(what else?) cars (fords) and collecting modelguns (a primarily Japanese hobby, plastic/zinc hi-tech cap guns)

Posted 04 January 2004 - 07:46 PM

John jr, I will probably have to run down to the neigborhood Radioshack tomorrow and pick up a mic, so, again possibly tomorrow? or?

#12 John Jr

John Jr

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1956 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 07:48 PM

We can try tommorow night too, If anyone wants to connect tonight go ahead and connect and we will try it tonight too.

Jr

#13 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 07:50 PM

John, Jr. and mp40, do you want to try it again tomorrow at the same time (7:00 p.m.)?

#14 mp40

mp40

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 591 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 07:52 PM

Ok, Possibly I might get up, go out into the snow, and go down to the Radioshack and get one...Possibly....tonight

#15 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 07:57 PM

Maybe I have one around here. I thought I did. I'll look tonight, but stores are closed around here (7:56p.m. on a Sunday).

#16 John Jr

John Jr

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1956 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 08:00 PM

Dont go to the store in the snow tonight! I am going to leave the server open for anyone who wants to join, just join up and start talking! We will do it tommorow night (I think, I may have to work late tommorow), I will let you know, but unless you hear otherwise tommorow night same time.

Join up the server is open!

IP: 67.64.14.169

Jr

#17 mp40

mp40

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 591 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 08:00 PM

That's funny, I thought i did too...But no such luck, just phone headsets.But, it's only 5:00 here so they might be open.

#18 mp40

mp40

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 591 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 08:04 PM

Well, I don't think that they are open anyways now, so tomorrow it is. Unless, i can't get the mic to work!!! And I don't have to work late too!!!

#19 John Jr

John Jr

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1956 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 08:06 PM

Phone headset might work, try pluging it into the mic jack and then make sure the mic is not muted in your audio controls.

Jr

#20 mp40

mp40

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 591 posts

Posted 04 January 2004 - 08:09 PM

John, I actually tried that option too..But the jack on the headset was too small.(perhaps an adaptor would work?)