Drum Information Needed

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts
  • Interests:Guns (Thompsons, Lugers, and Walthers mostly), History, Politics, Education, Nature, etc.

Posted 08 January 2004 - 12:40 AM

I have no problem with cleaning to the original finish, Arthur. However, I would err on the side of caution! blink.gif rolleyes.gif ohmy.gif laugh.gif

#22 Grey Crow

Grey Crow

RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1077 posts
  • Interests:Thompson Submachine guns, computers, reptiles.

Posted 08 January 2004 - 06:13 AM

Hawk,

I have what has been identified as a Worcester drum identical to yours. The only difference is that your drum is a little cleaner. Mine has a small amount of pitting on the top.

I gave $1,100.00 for mine last summer. The rotor is a high blue in appearance. .

It functions flawlessly, I put 50 through it and put it away after oiling it well. In the future I would like to get an AO drum as a shooter.

#23 TSMG28

TSMG28

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 420 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 01:39 PM

Hawk,

I will check my texts this evening and compare the lettering to determine which vintage drum this is. Font, punctuation, etc. differ on the various drums. My guess without checking is that this is a 4th generation drum, the first one made by Worcester Press in the 1930's. The 4th gen drums still had the nickel rotor. The 5th gen Worcester and later drums all had blued rotors. From your pictures, the rotor appears to be nickel. Based on what I have been told by others, a nice 4th gen drum now fetches beween $1200 and $1500, though as Sig said, your mileage may vary.

I would not alter this drum in any way. Keep it and enjoy it!

Walter,

The drum you sold to me in May of 2003 was also a 4th generation made by Worcester. That was confirmed both from Doug Richardson's book and by Tracie Hill.

Roger

#24 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3471 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 01:53 PM

Roger,
Walter may have sold you a Worcester drum, but what Hawk has is a non-numbered, non NO: marked, third version of the Colt L drum. The nickel rotors stopped with the Colt drums. A 4th "generation" drum would be a WH drum.

#25 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts
  • Interests:Guns (Thompsons, Lugers, and Walthers mostly), History, Politics, Education, Nature, etc.

Posted 08 January 2004 - 01:53 PM

Thanks, Roger, I really was not positive! I hope you are enjoying it! smile.gif biggrin.gif Best Regards, Walter

#26 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 02:00 PM

Arthur, I believe there has been some difference of opinion on just when the nickel rotors were no longer used. Also, there is always the possibility of either old (excess) Colt parts and/or rotors being used on Worcester Press drums right out of the factory, or exchanged later in the life of the Worcester drum in question. Who knows? blink.gif smile.gif biggrin.gif

#27 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3471 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 02:10 PM

Walter,
Yah, you can find a nickel rotor in a Worcester, and you can find a black oxide Worcester rotor in a Colt drum. But I can't fathom where Roger is confused as to the fact that Hawk's drum is indeed a Colt drum, not a Worcester drum.

#28 TSMG28

TSMG28

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 420 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 03:10 PM

Arthur,

According to both Tracie Hill and Doug Richardson, the first version of the Worcester drums had nickel rotors. The lettering is all that distinguishes them from the 3rd gen Colt drums (no number, no NO.). I have no idea whether the nickel rotors were leftover from the Colt runs or were manufacturered by Worcester. As Walter says, anything is possible. I will compare Hawk's lettering to samples I have to decide whether it is a 3rd or 4th gen L-drum.

Think what you may, but I will go with Tracie and Doug on this one!

Roger

#29 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 05:32 PM

Roger, Tracie Hill, Doug Richardson, and Frank Iannamico are, as you undoubtedly know, among the best authorities on everything Thompson. I don't yet have Richardson's book. Does anyone know of a good source for Doug Richardson's book?

#30 Whiskey Brother

Whiskey Brother

• Regular Group
  • 136 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 08:15 PM

I agree with Grey Crow on this one. That drum looks identical to the one I have, exept it is a little cleaner.

Definetly in the $1100-$1300 range.

#31 giantpanda4

giantpanda4

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2107 posts
  • Interests:Mechanical toys - cars, instruments, and of course - guns. The 1921-28 thompsons are the epitomy of perfection for a mechanical device that fills all my interests!

Posted 09 January 2004 - 08:00 AM

Walter,

Get the drum manual from Doug Richardson at:

Doug Richardson
2100 McReynolds Rd
Malibu, CA 00265

Call him after 10:00 PST at 310-457-6400

I remember the price is reasonable (~$20??). I am reading the two technical manuals he has written right now. The are full of excellent observations and I am sure the drum manual would be good too.

#32 Sgt

Sgt

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2047 posts
  • Interests:Militaria, Chess, Tools, Sherlock Holmes, Printmaking, UFOs, Ghosts, Electronics, Comic Books, Long walks in the rain, with my Savage 1928a1. (just kidding on the last one; it doesn't have to be raining) -- Ralph

Posted 09 January 2004 - 09:20 AM

Arthur--
I've always heard that polishing rare coins would dimenish their value. Why wouldn't that situation be the same for this rotor?

#33 TSMG28

TSMG28

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 420 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 09:38 AM

Hawk,

Great News! Based on the lettering in the pictures you provided, you have a Colt L-drum, not Worcester. It is the 3rd generation of L-drums. That increases its value. I would guess the value to be more like $1500-$1800, maybe even the $2000 that Walter quoted earlier in this thread. Pricing of these drums is highly subjective.

Bottom line is you have a really nice Colt L-drum. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Congratulations! Use it in good health.

Roger

#34 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3471 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 10:32 AM

Roger,
News? Although that fact was already established on January 7 when Hawk posted pics of the drum, at least now he does not have to contend with conflicting info.

Sgt,
Well, because that is a patina issue with coins and polishing them might erase, or fade, the markings. But even when these coins are salvaged from shipwrecks, they are carefully stripped of excess debris. The reason for nickel plating is that it is a great finish that resists rust and corrosion. Since there are no markings on a Colt nickel actuator, bolt, or rotor, how could removing tarnish hurt their form, or function? If excess debris were considered an original valuable commodity, would not then removing gun powder residue from previous firings also constitute removing valuable crud buildup?

#35 Z3BigDaddy

Z3BigDaddy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 3697 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Metal Detecting, Gun Trad'n

Posted 09 January 2004 - 02:15 PM

Arty,

I think what we have here is a little too much Antique Roadshow veiwership. Like you said there is a big difference b/w polishing to the point of removing sharp edges, and cleaning an item up. I hope people don't leave old caked on grease on inner mechanisms because they think it will detract from value to remove it..... The oustide furniture and the inside mechanisms are different animals... Of course if you have a bad barrel maybe you want to leave the "patina" to cover up the corrosion.... btaim all the way around it sounds like a nice piece...

#36 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3471 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 02:40 PM

Way to go Bid Daddy!!!

#37 hawk

hawk

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:C&R subguns, machine guns, M1 Carbines, pistols. Vintage Lionel trains. Antiques.

Posted 09 January 2004 - 02:52 PM

Thanks to Art, Walter, Roger, and everyone else for helping me with the drum question. I appreciate it. Here is a picture of it on the gun.
user posted image

#38 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 03:21 PM

hawk, that's a nice photo, but it looks so lonely there, all by its lonsome! It is begging to be caressed, fondled, and fired. Remember, "Happiness is a warm gun."-The Beatles. smile.gif blink.gif biggrin.gif ohmy.gif laugh.gif Regards, Walter

#39 Z3BigDaddy

Z3BigDaddy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 3697 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Metal Detecting, Gun Trad'n

Posted 09 January 2004 - 11:02 PM

When I feel my finger, on your tigger, I know no one can do me no harm.....

#40 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4624 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 10 January 2004 - 07:08 AM

But what about the rare white lettering drums? I've only seen a few of these. tongue.gif