Compensator Question...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 billie32

billie32

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 394 posts
  • Interests:Confederate weaponry, Vietnam & Iraq bring backs, one off military semi-auto rifles, Thompsons, early MG's, Vintage Mercedes Benz's, and taking naps.

Posted 24 July 2003 - 02:13 PM

Are all of the original Colt and WWII compensators pinned as well as threaded on? I have recently bought an original Colt compensator with pin, and also a WWII production compensator. While the Colt obviously is pinned as well as threaded, the WWII one appears to have come off of a gun, but has no hole, or thread interruption to indicate that it was ever pinned on. The 1928A1 I have has a pinned compensator, as do all of the compensated guns pictured in the various books I have. While I think I already know the answer to this question, I just figured I would check on the boards, maybe there was something I missed? Thanks.

#2 LIONHART

LIONHART

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2785 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons of course. All Manufactures and Models.

Posted 24 July 2003 - 02:56 PM

All threaded and Pinned. Latter Guns by WH were not Pinned, just threaded. The new Kahr Compensators are Pinned, but not threaded.

#3 gijive

gijive

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2429 posts
  • Interests:Thompson SMG, WWII, Firearms in general.

Posted 24 July 2003 - 03:16 PM

billie32,

Yes, Lionhart is correct all Colt and WWII compensators were threaded and pinned. What type of Colt compensator did you purchase, the 1st or 2nd model?

Also it is interesting that you mention that the WWII compensator has no hole drilled for the pin. If it was on a gun it would have been pinned. Could it be a NOS compensator that was never used on a gun? What are the markings on it?

#4 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts
  • Interests:Full time gunsmith who loves Thompsons, 35+ years experience.

Posted 24 July 2003 - 03:25 PM

If itís a pre 70ís part without the pin hole, it must be a spare that was never installed during that early time frame. It may have been installed with a retaining compound on a later gun and seen some use there. NAC used NOS GI parts at various times throughout production of both FA and SA guns including comps that were not pinned.

#5 hawksnest

hawksnest

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1029 posts
  • Interests:Class III weapons

Posted 24 July 2003 - 05:52 PM

Billie32: GI Jive asks a good question - What are the markings on the compensator

#6 billie32

billie32

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 394 posts
  • Interests:Confederate weaponry, Vietnam & Iraq bring backs, one off military semi-auto rifles, Thompsons, early MG's, Vintage Mercedes Benz's, and taking naps.

Posted 24 July 2003 - 07:03 PM

Will have to take a look when I get home...will try to post pictures of both compensators tomorrow. Thanks you guys!