North Carolina Nfa Laws

Hawkeye_Joe

Anyone here in NC? There is a debate going on about an SMG owner in NC that has a private range that is disturbing is new neighbors. He has won in court because his range was granfathered in since it was there before the developers moved in. Now they are saying he's misrepresented his ownership of the MG's and they are working that angle against him. Here is the article.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/12/2...of-concern.html

The article and many of the comments state that NC NFA owners have to own a business that the MG was bought to protect. Meaning that you can't acquire a MG for collecting or sporting purposes. Is that really part of the NC NFA laws?

If I were the good doctor / range owner, I'd show a little restraint and not use

the backyard gun range if it was effecting nearby children and be a good neighbor.

It's the range, not the MG's that the neighbors are up in arms about. It would be the

same complaining if he was firing handguns, shotguns or long guns.

Something like this, gives the libtards ammunition to further restrict our rights. It plays

into peoples misguided fears and does not look at the facts, there's no need to

add gasoline to the flames.

He could take his firearms to an approved range and everyone would be happy.

My 2 cents,

Darryl

Anyone here in NC? There is a debate going on about an SMG owner in NC that has a private range that is disturbing is new neighbors. He has won in court because his range was granfathered in since it was there before the developers moved in. Now they are saying he's misrepresented his ownership of the MG's and they are working that angle against him. Here is the article.

The article and many of the comments state that NC NFA owners have to own a business that the MG was bought to protect. Meaning that you can't acquire a MG for collecting or sporting purposes. Is that really part of the NC NFA laws?

Naw , have them do what they did out here in Arizona. There's a gun range in the northern part ( Flagstaf ? Prescott ? ) that was developed around too. Afterward a homeowner said the range was now unsafe and brought it to court. The judge agreed with the homeowner . He then ruled that the homes were to be torn down to make the range safe again . I believe they then dropped the law suits.

Do the same there. If it's unsafe , condem the houses , throw the bums out , tear them down. We have an excess of empty homes in the U.S. right now , and a shortage of ranges. My .02.

Chris

I have never seen reference to the "business protection" aspect (not to say it doesn't exist and I am too lazy to look it up), but the Sheriff's permit is accurate.

I found the article to be a bit refreshing given the commentary of the ATF employee and sheriff. I wouldn't mind living next to someone like that.... as long as he invited me when the noise started.

It was nice to see that over 90% of the comments were defending the Dr's rights over the whiney homeowners who moved in on him. If I had a problem with the noise and I could see the range from the back yard as that photo shows, I would build myself a noise barrier. The Doc has already spent tens of thousands of dollars to make the range safer, why should he foot the bill to make your back yard partys quieter.????

• 1 month later...
If I were the good doctor / range owner, I'd show a little restraint and not use

the backyard gun range if it was effecting nearby children and be a good neighbor.

It's the range, not the MG's that the neighbors are up in arms about. It would be the

same complaining if he was firing handguns, shotguns or long guns.

Something like this, gives the libtards ammunition to further restrict our rights. It plays

into peoples misguided fears and does not look at the facts, there's no need to

add gasoline to the flames.

He could take his firearms to an approved range and everyone would be happy.

My 2 cents,

Darryl

My range is an "approved" range-legal and operating for nearly 20 years. I have spent $42,000 to defend and the NRA has contibuted $12,000 towards my legal bills. I have "passed muster" now of four judges who declare my range legal. The range has been thoroughly inspected by the NRA range division and they declared in a formal document that my range is "one of the safest if not the safest ranges they have ever inspected" I will continue to use my range in a safe manner for my enjoyment. I have planned my life for years and others have ignored my rights as a property owner . They have aggressively and with full knowledge of my range's existance developed properties to their advantage. They should have planned better and done their homework before assuming they could just snuff out my range and my rights.

On just a global basis this reminds me of homeowners who move into newly developed subdivisions near long time rural businesses like cattle of sheep ranches or horse property(common occurance in a State like Arizona) and then proceed to whine about the odors. I suppose ALL of the Doctors neighbors probably claim ignorance that a firearms range was located in the immediate area when they moved in. Reminds me of when I used to live in Naperville Illinois* which had a trap and skeet operation close to the downtown area. The new homeowners(Yuppees mostly) put up a stink about it for years. I don't know what the final outcome was but hopefully it's still in operation.

If I was this Doctor the first thing I would do is issue an invitation to all the neighbors to come over and view his range first hand. This may prove worthless but it would at least demonstrate reasonableness on his part. If I were him I would also offer to keep the firing periods to specified times and,yes, I realize this is probably not necesary as he has a private range.

As an aside: Several of the points raised in the newpaper article are either wrong or exaggerations which is not unusual coming from the "mainstream" news media. It's always an uphill battle when your fighting gungrabbers and a liberal(anti-gun) press at the same time.

* I will give former Governor Jim Thompson of Illinois credit for getting one thing done(other than staying out of jail unlike the following governors). After the fiasco with the trap & skeet facility on LakeShore drive in Chicago he grandfathered the rest of the shooting facilities in Illinois so the gun grabbers couldn't get any more shut down.

Jim

Edited by james m

On just a global basis this reminds me of homeowners who move into newly developed subdivisions near long time rural businesses like cattle of sheep ranches or horse property(common occurance in a State like Arizona) and then proceed to whine about the odors. I suppose ALL of the Doctors neighbors probably claim ignorance that a firearms range was located in the immediate area when they moved in. Reminds me of when I used to live in Naperville Illinois* which had a trap and skeet operation close to the downtown area. The new homeowners(Yuppees mostly) put up a stink about it for years. I don't know what the final outcome was but hopefully it's still in operation.

If I was this Doctor the first thing I would do is issue an invitation to all the neighbors to come over and view his range first hand. This may prove worthless but it would at least demonstrate reasonableness on his part. If I were him I would also offer to keep the firing periods to specified times and,yes, I realize this is probably not necesary as he has a private range.

As an aside: Several of the points raised in the newpaper article are either wrong or exaggerations which is not unusual coming from the "mainstream" news media. It's always an uphill battle when your fighting gungrabbers and a liberal(anti-gun) press at the same time.

* I will give former Governor Jim Thompson of Illinois credit for getting one thing done(other than staying out of jail unlike the following governors). After the fiasco with the trap & skeet facility on LakeShore drive in Chicago he grandfathered the rest of the shooting facilities in Illinois so the gun grabbers couldn't get any more shut down.

Jim

The entire Wesley Chapel city council was invited along with the local media and any neighbors for the NRA range inspection day in April of 2008. The local Sheriff and his attorney were also present. I have agreed not to shoot during school hours during the week and never on Sunday morning. I have been reasonable and the neighbors still bitch and moan-TOO BAD!!!!

Jim

The entire Wesley Chapel city council was invited along with the local media and any neighbors for the NRA range inspection day in April of 2008. The local Sheriff and his attorney were also present. I have agreed not to shoot during school hours during the week and never on Sunday morning. I have been reasonable and the neighbors still bitch and moan-TOO BAD!!!!

I recognize you efforts at appeasement would probably be futile as I indicated above. I may be preaching to the choir here or pointing out the obvious but I think this bears repeating. The ultimate goal of the left wing liberal gun grabbers is to outlaw the private possession of firearms. The gun grabbers don't care if you possess a machine gun or a bb gun it's all the same to them. Anything they can do to make it more difficult to possess and use firearms is ok with them. The really is NO reason to compromise with them because they don't care about compromise. Whatever we concede is just another step toward their ultimate goal which is the elimination of firearms possession by individuals.

The NRA concession in 1986 inre. to the prohibition of new manufacture on machine guns for public sale has in NO way demonstratible reduced crime since registered machine guns in other than a couple of isolated instances have never been a factor.

The horrific incident in Tucson, carried out be an individual that should have been institionalized, will in all likleyhood be used as a springboard for new and far more repressive gun regulations. The perhaps can be used to our advantage in insuring the Kenyan is gone in 2012.

Jim

Edited by james m

:blink:

Seems like a good excuse to buy a machine gun with a supressor!

:woot:

-wwiifirearms

Sheriff won't sign off on suppressors- "Weapons of mass destruction in N.C."

• 5 months later...

Hi

I live in WNC and live near town but have 11 acres. I have set up a private range and have a bar, wh Thompson and a 50 cal. I work from home so I shoot during the day almost everyday but not for long. I have not had any complaints. But I try to be sensitive to my neighbors so if they hear the shooting they know it is not for that long.

The nc laws are such That the Sheriff is the gate keeper but filling out the ATF forms there is a box that Is http://www.grnc.org/images/wa_2007NCFirearmsLawsPub.pdf. See page 26 item 5

That basically says the sherif approves that I as a c&r collector can own a mg.

If the dr is approved by the sheriff he should be fine but if I were him I would keep a low profile for a while or consider a weekend place with land a shoot away. For example the elderly lady next to me leaves lunch time so I try to shoot when she is out. It just is a neighborly thing to do.