11 replies to this topic

#1 dalbert

dalbert

Website Owner

• Admin
  • 3127 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 04:46 PM

All,

jimc351 asked me to post these pictures of his Lewis Gun Transit Chest.

Jim,

One question I have...do these Lewis Gun chests have any manufacturer markings and dates? I'm wondering whether they may have been made by the same companies that made the British Home Guard Thompson chests.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

#2 jim c 351

jim c 351

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1713 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 08:01 PM

A few comments about the pictures of the Lewis Gun transit chest that Dave posted for me. Comments posted in same order as pictures.
#1 outside view of Lewis chest. Repainted by Sarco and stencilled by me.
#2 muzzle end of chest showing support block for radiator shroud and storage hole for magazine loading tool.
#3 receiver end of chest showing storage place for spare barrel and spare op rod.
#4 showing storage area for buttstock.
#5 note hinge in center of picture. When hinge is visable, chest is set for Vickers Gun.
#6 note hinge disappeared. Wood block swung up. Chest is set for Lewis Gun.
#7 reversable wood block. Large radius for Vickers Gun. Small radius for Lewis Gun.
#8 muzzle end of chest. Note mag loading tool in upper left corner.
#9 Lewis chest with barrel assembly ,-minus receiver.
The chest has no date or maker listed. May have been painted over. Excellent chance made by same company that made TSMG cases. Someone else is sure to know the answer.
Thanks Dave.
Jim C

#3 billie32

billie32

RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 392 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, early MG's and SMG's, AK47's, bring back SKS's, The American Civil War, Vintage Mercedes-Benz sedans, US military items from the Revolution through Vietnam, as well as Mint Ithaca Doubles and model 37 shotguns manufactured prior to 1960. I also enjoy a good scotch every now and again as well as Metal headbanging music.

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:13 AM

I have one of these chests that's INTERARMSCO marked on the lid. Aside from that, it's identical with the original paint, although mine is a bit more beat up. I'll try and see if I can find some manufacturers markings on it.

#4 dalbert

dalbert

Website Owner

• Admin
  • 3127 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:39 PM

billie32,

The markings on the Thompson chest look like the ones in the pictures below:

(Nicholls & Janes)

("1940" and Broad Arrow mark)

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

#5 billie32

billie32

RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 392 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, early MG's and SMG's, AK47's, bring back SKS's, The American Civil War, Vintage Mercedes-Benz sedans, US military items from the Revolution through Vietnam, as well as Mint Ithaca Doubles and model 37 shotguns manufactured prior to 1960. I also enjoy a good scotch every now and again as well as Metal headbanging music.

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:01 PM

i'll try and get some pictures of the markings on my Thompson case, and when I dig down to it, my Lewis case as well

#6 jim c 351

jim c 351

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1713 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE (billie32 @ Jan 5 2011, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have one of these chests that's INTERARMSCO marked on the lid. Aside from that, it's identical with the original paint, although mine is a bit more beat up. I'll try and see if I can find some manufacturers markings on it.

billie,
Do you have a Lewis gun for the case?
Jim C

#7 John Sukey

John Sukey

• Regular Group
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:07 PM

That same chest is used for the Vickers

#8 johnsonlmg41

johnsonlmg41

• Regular Group
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE (John Sukey @ Jan 12 2011, 08:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here's a pair of transit chests. I'll see if I can check for markings on the Brit one. I know it is marked Interarmco with numbering from the original import order, but I have not looked more closely than that. I'm looking to buy a spare US Savage lewis op rod, should anyone know of one for sale?

Attached Files

#9 John Sukey

John Sukey

• Regular Group
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:52 PM

QUOTE (johnsonlmg41 @ Jan 13 2011, 08:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (John Sukey @ Jan 12 2011, 08:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here's a pair of transit chests. I'll see if I can check for markings on the Brit one. I know it is marked Interarmco with numbering from the original import order, but I have not looked more closely than that. I'm looking to buy a spare US Savage lewis op rod, should anyone know of one for sale?

Try www.omega-weapons-systems.com
I believe the op rods for the .303 and the 30-06 Lewis are the same, only the bolts and barrel are different.
Omega has lots of other Lewis bits as well, springs, levers, return springs, etc. stc.

#10 pitfighter

pitfighter

• Regular Group
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:10 PM

I have one for trade - looking for mg or smg parts kits - email figgypix(at)yahoo.com

This transit box does not fit my M1910 Maxim, almost, but not quite - lol.

photo_zps3408a7fc.jpg

photo_zps86e53236.jpg

#11 meatballs

meatballs

• Regular Group
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:48 PM

The manufacter of the Lewis and Vickers chest will normally be found on the right hand end of the bottom board.

Edited by meatballs, 28 October 2013 - 04:51 PM.

#12 Balder

Balder

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 259 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 09:17 AM

Gentlemen,

On the topic of chests, here's what I did to my Vickers (Lithgow) tripod chest. Some of you will probably find it sacrilegious. The gun transit chest I kept original.

Balder

IMG_5190_zps19e18876.jpg

IMG_5191_zps58b5f21b.jpg