Newbie Question

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mgdoc8307

mgdoc8307

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:Class 3's of all kinds. Currently shoot several hk's uzi,m16. Also deliver babies on the side. Motorcycles-two antique Triumphs, sportscars-1965 Cobra and 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe. Scuba diving.

Posted 26 January 2004 - 08:03 AM

Are 21 kits available for the WH28 and are they worth it? Where to find? What are the advantages and disadvantages. Thanks. I'm waiting on the transfer to clear-can't wait-Michael

#2 Brickyard

Brickyard

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:WWII guns<br>Golf when not shooting or reading this board<br>Family (Have to say that, someone will read this)<br>My dogs (screw the cat)<br>My '53 Willy's Jeep

Posted 26 January 2004 - 08:58 AM

Talk to PK. on these boards. He make a great kit. I've got one and love it. In fact, I relunctantly put my 28 configuration in from time to time. A little faster rate but much more controllable and enjoyable. Write PK and get the details. HTH.

CJR

#3 Gunner

Gunner

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 282 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 09:36 AM

I agree with Brickyard. I have WH 28 and just added one of PK's kits a few weeks ago. Functions flawlessly, and I shoot better!

#4 The1930sRust

The1930sRust

Respected Member and Board Donor

• 1939 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, obviously. Proud West Hurley 1928 and Savage M1 owner, cave explorer, and KSP trooper (retired). Also interested in 1920-1930 American history. I appreciate all Thompson models and their owners.

Posted 26 January 2004 - 09:38 AM

I concur with CJ. Although I don't have one of PK's kits (mine is an original 1921 actuator), I do have one of Paul's buffer and pilots from his 21 kit. Placed in my 1928 West Hurley, it does indeed lend itself to more controlable fire. The fun just doesn't last as long! As Paul will tell you, these kits push the gun back up to what it was originally designed to do.

user posted image

Do a search here, if not already, for the 21 kits.

I have two videos, one with the 28 actuator:

Tribute 1928

...and one with the 1921 actuator:

Range with 1921

Both are heavily Hollywooded, but the sound of the two actuators might be pronounced. They need the Apple quicktime plug in or viewer to work, however.

#5 Earle

Earle

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Firearms from BB guns to Class 3
    Lionel Trains
    Harleys and Corvettes
    US Navy - Retired

Posted 26 January 2004 - 09:41 AM

Let me jump on the PK bandwagon also. I put one of his 21 kits in my Westy 28 and it has made the gun absolutely flawless. Before that I had a frustrating time trying to get the gun to run reliably in its original configuration.

Regards,
Earle

#6 21 smoker

21 smoker

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1333 posts
  • Interests:collecting nfa, old cars, huntin` n fishin`, reloading ammo

NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR
    MVPA RESTORATION MEMBER
    MARINE CORP LEAGUE PISTOL TEAM MEMBER

Posted 26 January 2004 - 11:40 AM

Hey guys,..I`ll go a step further,..I put PKs 21 kit in a 21...works better than the original! Good picture Chris,looks better than original,out.

#7 Johnny.45

Johnny.45

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 201 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 11:52 AM

Another endorsement here for the PK '21 kit.
I purchased one in the fall and it functions flawlessly in my WH '28.
The workmanship and machining are top notch.

Good Luck,
Johnny

#8 Ron A

Ron A

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:Collector of Thompson guns & items<br>Colt single actions<br>Native American items - pre 1900

Posted 26 January 2004 - 05:02 PM

I obtained a 21 kit from overseas, put in a WH and runs great. I feel it runs as good as my 21 ever ran...

#9 JimFromFL

JimFromFL

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1877 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 09:56 PM

I must in the bizzaro world as I have been attempting to slow down my 28 as opposed to speed it up. tongue.gif

#10 The1930sRust

The1930sRust

Respected Member and Board Donor

• 1939 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, obviously. Proud West Hurley 1928 and Savage M1 owner, cave explorer, and KSP trooper (retired). Also interested in 1920-1930 American history. I appreciate all Thompson models and their owners.

Posted 26 January 2004 - 10:14 PM

Jim, just flip the selector!

#11 Fencer

Fencer

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 160 posts
  • Interests:WWII U.S. military weapons, Air to Air combat. I was involved with a game called AirWarrior, doing some work on the two published versions of the game. I love the P-51 Mustang, and used to operate a website devoted to photos of various P-51s I took over the years. Basset Hounds Rule!

Posted 27 January 2004 - 05:15 PM

Huh, I must be in the wrong Message Board. ohmy.gif

A thoughtfull Thompson Submachine Gun Subject Discussion. cool.gif

Nope, still at Machinegunbooks.com. Guess the place has not went completely NUTS. blink.gif