Photo
- - - - -

New Poll - YOUR VOTE DOES COUNT

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you pay a fee to use these message boards? (123 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you pay a fee to use these message boards?

1. Yes, I love talking with others about my hobby. (38 votes [36.89%])

Percentage of vote: 36.89%

2. No, There are better resources out there for free. (17 votes [16.50%])

Percentage of vote: 16.50%

3. Maybe, Depending on the costs. (48 votes [46.60%])

Percentage of vote: 46.60%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Tex

Tex

• Regular Group
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much anything that goes "Boom".

Posted 01 February 2004 - 03:31 PM

Being one of the newest members, I don't feel as though my opinion would matter that much.
Having said that, yes I would contribute depending on cost. I know that there is a wealth of info on this board and that I have already picked up some valuable info from it.

Thanks to all...

#42 Bill in VA

Bill in VA

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 652 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 04:53 PM

I'll probably get flamed for this, but frankly, I don't care. Moreover, I haven't placed a vote because I don't like the choices. Call me cheap, Scotch, or whatever... You asked for our opinions, so here's mine.

I've watched this thread develop with interest and several times I've come close to clicking "No, There are better resources out there for free" but there aren't. There are several excellent gunboards on the 'net, and while this is by far the best TSMG board, but I still wouldn't pay for access. I belong to close to dozen gunboards. Granted, a number of them require a user to register before access (either partial or total) is granted, but not one of which charges for access. If they did, I'd go elsewhere.

While I don't post here too often, I do lurk on a daily basis. I've learned a lot, have shared a little, and hopefully have imparted some of what I know to others as well. I have one TSMG, will keep it until I die (and may be buried with it), and will most assuredly never have the cash to buy a second or third TSMG. I like coming here to read others' input on the TSMG, bits of useless but fascinating TSMG trivia, and generally carry on about our favorite gun. I suppose if I had to make a choice between either paying to continue to do so here, or just sticking with my copy of "American Thunder" (which has waaaaay more info than I could ever use, especially since my TSMG is a West Hurley), I'd stick with "American Thunder."

Now, I know hosting a board like this (or any other for that matter) isn't free, or even cheap. Still, you made the decision to do so (and very generously, I might add.) I don't mind making a small contribution (shoot me an email with your address if you like, I'll see what I can scratch up for you), but I have no intention of paying for access to this or any other board. otherwise, I'd suggest selling banner ads (no pop-ups), selling sponsorships, or something similar. (Hellfire, I don't even mind wearing the label of "Newbie" or such if I don't pay up, like others have suggested. My post count (my "score"???) means far, far less to me than any the information and cameraderie I've gained here. In fact, if you'll humor a minor rant, the post count, as I see it, means nothing anyway, other than "I've posted more than you have." Having more "post time" than others doesn't automatically make them more knowledgeable than someone else, just more vocal.)

"Scotch" Bill in VA.

#43 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3471 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 05:53 PM

Bill,
Apparently it is hard for some to give up their "Blue Blocks" count. You belong to a dozen gun boards? Wow! I can only think of 3 or 4 outside of this one. What is the average amount of members on some of these other boards?

#44 Bill in VA

Bill in VA

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 652 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 09:26 PM

Arthur,
I'm not sure it's an actual "hard" dozen or not...just my ballpark "guess-timate." Off the top of my head, I'm registered/post as "Bill in VA" here, subguns.com, sturmgewehr.com (don't do much posting there these days), MSA forums, Tuco's, P.38/PPK forums (don't post too much there either these days, mostly lurk) Jouster/CSP are those that spring to mind immediately. It's been evenlonger, but I also used to hang out/post/lurk under the same name at Big Jim's and at Mongo's, and even further back, on Vollmer's. Membership? I honestly couldn't tell you. My daily/"gospel" reads include here, subguns, Tuco's, and the MSA forums, in that order. IMHO, here and subguns are the two best on the 'net. The others I try to peek in on at least once a week.

#45 John Jr

John Jr

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1956 posts
  • Interests:Plenty

Posted 01 February 2004 - 11:20 PM

Mr. Grosse (sorry if I mispelled it) has been on the MG books site since before I was. I joined in April 01. The MG books forum started in Jan 01. I would say he is one of the first members.

Where does that leave Arthur (excluding the two times Arthur was banned from the first board)?

Jr

#46 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3471 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 12:41 AM

John J,
Come clean or be banned! Are you really from Mena, Arkansas where the city's airport was used for extensive drug smuggling in the 80's?

#47 Nick Iannamico

Nick Iannamico

Founding Admin

• 906 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 12:47 AM

Knock it off right now! - IT WILL NOT BE TOLERATED!!!!! DO YOU UNDERSTAND!!!!!

#48 TSMG28

TSMG28

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 420 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 01:52 PM

There have been many very thoughtful suggestions and concerns expressed so far on this topic. There is obviously no simple answer, and one size will not fit all.

I agree that this board should not become a fee based service. I believe that will inhibit what I view as the goal of most boards - the free exchange of knowledge, ideas and opinions. But I also know nothing is free. My hope would be that sponsorship as has been recently created would make a significant dint in the costs of maintaining this board. Sale of goods is also a plus. Banner/link ads might be acceptable to me, but we need to remember that making these contacts and setting up the information/relationships will take even more time for those assisting with the creation and managment of this board. Any model that requires the tracking of when people join, post or otherwise use the services of this board will ultimately kill it. This kind of management is a lot more involved than most people realize.

I am willing to pay to have this board available, but I would like it to be voluntary if at all possible. There was an earlier reference to NPR and their funding model. The reality is that, like NPR, sponsorship will certainly see some people providing funds and many others choosing not to. Unless the board is in peril, so be it. I am willing to pony up enough to help cover some that cannot or will not pay, within reason.

Having said that, Nick and Chris, please feel free to automatically delete any and all flames, inappropriate references and pictures. Some of the squabbles among members were old a long time ago. The sniping and mud-slinging needs to STOP! We can have differing opinions and agree to disagree with courtesy and consideration. Delete quickly and without mercy. I would rather you err on that side than see/read what recently has been occurring more and more.

Roger