Remington Arms 50-Round Military .45 ACP Box, 1942

All,

I picked up a box of WWII vintage .45 ACP ammunition at OGCA 2 weekends ago to add to my Thompson ammunition collection, and I'm starting to think it could be a unique find. I corresponded with Roscoe Turner about the box, and he mentioned that the recent Meadows M1911 book might provide insight. I was finally able to take a look at my Meadows book today, and there is a picture of a similar box. However, Meadows indicates that military .45 ACP was not packaged in 50-round boxes until 1943. So, my question is whether Meadows arrived at the 1943 date based on observations as a collector, or if he found an official publication that documented the changeover. The reason I ask this is that my Remington Arms ammunition is dated 1942, and is in a 50-round box.

Here are some photos:

RA42Box_Web.JPG

RA42Headstamp_Web.JPG

I suppose it's possible that earlier Remington Arms ammunition could have been placed in this ammo box, but I doubt it. The box seems transitional, in my opinion, because it uses the old 20-round box print design, but is printed on the larger, 50-round box. I think this box may indicate that the changeover from 20-round to 50-round boxes occurred a year earlier than previously thought. Does anyone here have any input on this subject? Perhaps some insight into lot numbers - the lot number on my box is 5406.

BTW, the Meadows book has an excellent section on military .45 ACP ammunition.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

• Upvote 1

How do the cases fall in the manufacture order of production ? I know a rifle made in a certain month can have a barrel , as an example , 1-3 months earlier. I wonder if a '43 lot could have '42 cases ?

Chris

• Upvote 1

How do the cases fall in the manufacture order of production ? I know a rifle made in a certain month can have a barrel , as an example , 1-3 months earlier. I wonder if a '43 lot could have '42 cases ?

Chris

Chris,

I'd say that's definitely a possible scenario. Good insight.

Does anyone have other suggestions/ideas, or confirmations of an actual date of changeover?

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Below is information I shared with David from History of Modern US Military Small Arms Ammunition Vol. II 1940-1945 by Hackley, Woodin and Scranton published in 1978.

Are the cases copper plated or will they attract a magnet? These could be out of that lot sent to Frankford Arsenal.

Reading in History of Modern US Military Small Arms Ammunition Vol. II 1940-1945 it mentions an experimental lot of copper plated steel case ammunition being shipped from Remington to Frankford Arsenal beginning August 1942 in standard military 50 round boxes without a lot number stamping. The ammunition headstamp was R.A. 42. The ammunition was tested at Frankford November 42. This is the earliest mention of the 50 round box I have found.

• Upvote 1

Below is information I shared with David from History of Modern US Military Small Arms Ammunition Vol. II 1940-1945 by Hackley, Woodin and Scranton published in 1978.

Are the cases copper plated or will they attract a magnet? These could be out of that lot sent to Frankford Arsenal.

Reading in History of Modern US Military Small Arms Ammunition Vol. II 1940-1945 it mentions an experimental lot of copper plated steel case ammunition being shipped from Remington to Frankford Arsenal beginning August 1942 in standard military 50 round boxes without a lot number stamping. The ammunition headstamp was R.A. 42. The ammunition was tested at Frankford November 42. This is the earliest mention of the 50 round box I have found.

RoscoeTurner,

Can you tell me what page the reference above can be found in Hackley's book? I don't have it, and someone on the IAA forum is asking about where we are getting the 1943 date assumption.

Thanks!

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

• 2 weeks later...

All,

This conversation is getting pretty interesting on the IAA board. Many of yuo know that I have a keen interest in the French connection to the TSMG, and it apppear that some newly rediscovered information may exist in regards to the TSMG's in the second French order that never made it to France.

http://iaaforum.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12463

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Doc Av is an excellent source of information regarding the 45 ACP cartridge, he is collector in Australia. His reference reminds me of the photo I submited of repackaged Winchester ammunition by the Japanese. However that was a commerical box of 42 cartridges.