M1 Tsmg Mystery

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 rsilvers

rsilvers

• Regular Group
  • 113 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 11:11 PM

I am sure the lack of machine marks is because it was probably bead blasted before the repark. Whoever did it seemed to want to put a commercial grade finish on a military gun, which I understand is not what a collector would want but maybe there was a reason, like lots of rust. Kinda like putting too nice a paint job on a military vehicle. As for the proof marks -- that is certainly something I need to look for when I see the gun again because those tell an important story.

#22 colt21a

colt21a

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3480 posts
  • Interests:Whatever we can do in Life

Posted 07 February 2004 - 12:15 AM

QUOTE (rsilvers @ Feb 6 2004, 08:30 PM)
Thanks.

The rivits look that way because they were put in upside down -- likely because, I am told, it is hard for someone to install rivits the correct way and make them be smooth on top.

If someone tells me they can install rivits perfectly I will have it redone (and replace the sight with an L-model).

bob welcome to the group.glad you have your first tommy...............and shoot it, enjoy it,and take care of it.....

and enjoy the board's....................if i come across something exotic in the m.g.market........will let you know...........this is one of the better places on the net... take care,ron /colt21a

#23 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3456 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 12:49 AM

This might possibly be one of the M1's disposed of by Winchester-Western back in 1975. These were supposedly used for testing ammo during WWII. This may account for the lack of military property or inspection markings. They had serial numbers in the low four digit area. In any case, it is doubtful that Richard's M1 ever saw military service overseas.

#24 rsilvers

rsilvers

• Regular Group
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 01:18 AM

I will keep that in mind when the FOIA report comes back. Maybe the marks did not survive heavy beadblasting. Or maybe I will find them when I next look at it.

#25 pdursin

pdursin

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Collecting military cartridge firearms from 1870 thru WW 2.

Posted 10 February 2004 - 08:50 PM

Welcome to the board, Rsliver

My Savage 1928A1 was a rewatt and the inspection marks on the left front area of the receiver were almost obliterated in the refinishing process. If you don't see the marks easily, look under a strong light with a hand magnifier before you give up.

Best Regards,

Pete Dursin