Tsmg Mag Finish

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Barry

Barry

• Regular Group
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 July 2003 - 06:56 PM

I picked up a Seymour XXX mag that has a parkerized finish. What period of time were these being made?
Barry

#2 deerslayer

deerslayer

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1716 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 08:12 AM

It is my understanding that all 30 round magazines were made during WW2 and non have been made since. The ones sold now with Kahr guns are all WW2 production. Various refinishings could have been done at any time since.
Dan

#3 TSMGguy

TSMGguy

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2189 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, old airplanes, and guns.

Posted 29 July 2003 - 09:44 AM

Deerslayer has it just right. I'd only add that all of the WWII XXX mags were deeply blued. Parkerizing denotes a refinished mag. As to quality, I think that the Seymour-made mags were best, followed by those marked SWCO (Sparks-Withington), with Crosby mags a distant third. I still prefer the Crosby mags; they work fine, and I like the 'US 30 CARTRIDGE CAL .45' markings. Was fortunate enough to find a bunch still in the WWII factory wrap.

#4 Chopper28

Chopper28

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 710 posts
  • Interests:Class III stuff and Harleys

Posted 29 July 2003 - 11:02 AM

All XX and all XXX were originally blued, none were parkarized when they were manufactured.

#5 Frank Iannamico

Frank Iannamico

Website Founder & Industry Expert

• 1029 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 09:53 PM

Many magazines were rebuilt along with the guns, during and after WWII. Refurbished magazines were Parkerized. All Thompson magazines were made during WWII. huh.gif

#6 Barry

Barry

• Regular Group
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 11:36 PM

Thank you for the reply. Sounds like that mag will go just fine with my reworked M1
Barry