31 replies to this topic

#1 Uncle Dudley

Uncle Dudley

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:Hot Rods and Thompsons

Posted 12 February 2004 - 02:08 PM

Gangster guns-tonite (021204) on the History C cool.gif hannel at 9PM central standard time (check your local listing).

#2 JimFromFL

JimFromFL

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1877 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 03:31 PM

Thanks for the info.... I will have to try to watch it.... that is if the wife is not watching any of her many shows.

#3 The1930sRust

The1930sRust

Respected Member and Board Donor

• 1939 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, obviously. Proud West Hurley 1928 and Savage M1 owner, cave explorer, and KSP trooper (retired). Also interested in 1920-1930 American history. I appreciate all Thompson models and their owners.

Posted 12 February 2004 - 10:40 PM

"The Gat"?

#4 cavediver

cavediver

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:All types of full auto weapons, Cannons and hunting.

Posted 12 February 2004 - 10:44 PM

Great pictures of Thompsons. Makes you want a 28 Caddy and a Thompson 21 AC

#5 Incomplete

Incomplete

• Regular Group
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 11:00 PM

It was good. But I would like for history to do a indept look at gun laws...

#6 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3453 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 11:25 PM

The History Channel is still suffering the consequences from their endorsement of their broadcast about LBJ being an active participant in JKF's death. They sacrificed a lot of their credibility on that segment.

#7 John Jr

John Jr

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1956 posts
  • Interests:Plenty

Posted 12 February 2004 - 11:34 PM

I recorded it. Good show.

Jr

#8 Uncle Dudley

Uncle Dudley

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:Hot Rods and Thompsons

Posted 12 February 2004 - 11:55 PM

I thought the term "Gat" was for handguns. I've never heard it referred to machine guns/thompsons. I liked the "C" drum pictures.

#9 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4555 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 13 February 2004 - 06:52 AM

Caught just a little of it before I dozed off. Nice to see Gordon make a appearance there. Note, Gordon, comb your hair before interview. I missed the "gat" thing, what is that all about?
Arthur, LBJ did have a hand in killing JFK. Just goes to show the truth hurts sometimes. Someone comes out with the truth and everybody goes apey.

#10 The1930sRust

The1930sRust

Respected Member and Board Donor

• 1939 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, obviously. Proud West Hurley 1928 and Savage M1 owner, cave explorer, and KSP trooper (retired). Also interested in 1920-1930 American history. I appreciate all Thompson models and their owners.

Posted 13 February 2004 - 08:24 AM

One of the pre-commercial history tidbits mentions other names for the Thompson: chopper, chicago typewriter, and the Gat...

#11 Ron Mills

Ron Mills

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1247 posts
  • Interests:All Thompson models and accessories

Posted 13 February 2004 - 08:31 AM

I too scratch my head about the "Gat" term. Never heard that one. Good show.
And Gordon's hair: Hey, he's an actor. Always looking for more gigs, you know. One never knows when some producer may be watching. I learned that from actor friends.

#12 Bisley45

Bisley45

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 602 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, 1911's, Collect & Shoot Colt Pistols and Revolvers, American Civil War, anything that shoots

Posted 13 February 2004 - 09:49 AM

I've heard the term appled to revolvers but never pistols ( automatic or otherwise ) and I've heard it used with the Thompson; I can see the revolver thing but scratch my head when Thomas is called a "Gat"

My .02

BB

#13 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3453 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 10:37 AM

Mike,
Other than Oliver Stone's film, there is no evidence that connects LBJ to JFK's death. The idea is really silly on the face of it if you try to rationalize why LBJ would manuever to kill to be president, and then chose not to run for his full second term in 1968. The History Channel needs to stick with facts, not supposition. If you read my posts on Nick's thread on the off topic board, I express my incredulity with the Warren Commission findings, but other than LBJ's criminal actions regarding Vietnam, which are verified by his own White House tapes, these same tapes only tend to obsolve him of any complicity in JFK's death.

#14 Mike Hammer

Mike Hammer

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 768 posts
  • Interests:Travel, sun worshiper, margaritas, hot chicks, painting, scuba diving, movies, collecting movie memorabilia and autographs, guns, hot chicks, micro-beers, hot chicks, and did I say hot chicks?

Posted 13 February 2004 - 12:10 PM

Oh no, let's not get into the JFK assasination, we'll never end that thread! Besides, anyone who's read everything on the subject knows it was a mob hit wink.gif Last nights show on the outlaw guns cast a pretty negitive picture on the Thompson and full autos in general, didn't help our cause one bit. On another subject, someone recently told me that '28 West Hurleys will soon be added to the C&R list just like the M1 Westys. Does anyone have any information to affirm that a re-classifacation may soon occur from ATF?

Mike Hammer

#15 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts
  • Interests:Guns (Thompsons, Lugers, and Walthers mostly), History, Politics, Education, Nature, etc.

Posted 13 February 2004 - 12:13 PM

I think Sir Mike Hensley is right in pointing out the plausibility of some involvement on Johnson's part. I think he stood to benefit more than any other person. And then, after five years of increasingly involving America in Vietnam, he became very unpopular. Being the shrewd political operator that he was, he made the calculated decision to cut his losses, and quit the campaign for a second full term. ph34r.gif cool.gif Regards, Walter

P.S. As far as supposition goes, that was about all the combined resources of the Federal Government of the U.S. could get on Al Capone, even though they knew he was involved in rum-running, murder, prostitution, and gambling. They had to settle for bringing him in on tax evasion charges. As for Johnson not talking about his involvement in the asassination of JFK on Whitehouse tapes, in the presence of Bobby Kennedy, who was still around, and many other loyal staffers of the dead President, well, who would? blink.gif unsure.gif

#16 Ron Mills

Ron Mills

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1247 posts
  • Interests:All Thompson models and accessories

Posted 13 February 2004 - 01:06 PM

Back to the TV show: How about those Johnson rifles during the FBI night-firing exercise on that program? Those were Johnsons, right? Interesting gun.

I agree, the JFK thang will never end if we keep posting it here. Maybe start a thread on a different discussion board...

#17 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3453 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 01:06 PM

Walter,
A. It is absurd to rationalize a VP in on the hit of his president because he lusts for power, but then goes ahead and infuriates the electorate on Vietnam, and then decides that he has had enough power, and will not be the candidate of his party. That does not pass the giggle test. These are the kinds of silly postulates that make valid conspiracy questions on the assassination look tainted by association. The idea that LBJ was involved in JFK's hit is no better than Al Fayed believing his son Dodi and Diane were set up by MI5 rather than concede they were victims of an everyday car accident.

B. Mike can point out all the plausibility he wants to, but it is not for a network calling itself "The History Channel" to engage in random speculation that confuses unsubstantiated gossip for fact. That kind of flotsum is best left to the "E!" channel.

C. Do you not think RFK, still the Attorney General at that time, would not have gone after LBJ with eveything he had if he thought Johnson was involved?

#18 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts
  • Interests:Guns (Thompsons, Lugers, and Walthers mostly), History, Politics, Education, Nature, etc.

Posted 13 February 2004 - 01:17 PM

Arthur,
A.Human beings are not rational, by nature.
B.Everything is always on the table in an open murder investigation.
C.RFK was in mourning for his brother, not, generally, a time of clear thought.

#19 DDAYJune6

DDAYJune6

• Regular Group
  • 115 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 01:31 PM

I did watch that show when it first was on, really made you think. Talked about how there is some really strong evidence that LBJ killed a few people to make it to the top.

Edited by DDAYJune6, 13 February 2004 - 01:31 PM.

#20 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3453 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 01:33 PM

No more than Martha Stewart, Donald Trump, Oprah, Rockerfeller, etc...