Cost Estimate For Barrel + Labor For Rebarrel

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tiger Bay

Tiger Bay

• Regular Group
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 04:01 PM

I'm looking at purchasing a vintage M1A1, but the barrel is slightly bulged. I'm negotiating with the seller on his price, but need an idea of what a NOS M1A1 barrel would run and/or where to find one, then how much it would cost to have a reputable smith rebarrel it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

#2 The1930sRust

The1930sRust

Respected Member and Board Donor

• 1939 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, obviously. Proud West Hurley 1928 and Savage M1 owner, cave explorer, and KSP trooper (retired). Also interested in 1920-1930 American history. I appreciate all Thompson models and their owners.

Posted 29 July 2003 - 04:34 PM

Doug Richardson should have NOS bbls. His old catalog lists them at $90 to $125 depending on condition. PK at Diamond K can definitely fit it for you. See the FAQ>GENERAL for their contact info.

#3 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts
  • Interests:Full time gunsmith who loves Thompsons, 35+ years experience.

Posted 29 July 2003 - 08:33 PM

A basic R&R barrel in my shop is $40

#4 catnipman

catnipman

• Regular Group
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:Tommy guns, what else? Actually, other machine guns too, vegetable gardening, cooking, PCs, woodworking, football, travel, cinema, books, medicine, nutrition, politics, cats, and art.

Posted 29 July 2003 - 09:11 PM

You know, if the price on the M1A1 is a good one to start with and the gun is otherwise in nice condition, I don't think I'd dicker too much over something like a bulged barrel, particularly if you're buying this as a shooter and not as a fine-condition collector's item. As you can see, replacing the barrel is relatively inexpensive.

#5 Tiger Bay

Tiger Bay

• Regular Group
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 07:26 AM

Thanks for the info guys.

The price on it isn't too bad, but high enough to warrant some barganing.

Mike

#6 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts
  • Interests:Full time gunsmith who loves Thompsons, 35+ years experience.

Posted 30 July 2003 - 07:32 AM

This is definitely a sellers market. If you want it, don’t discuss it to long or hard, you just may loose it!

I should be able to name the guy who says it, but I can paraphrase it “I never paid to much for an NFA firearm, just to soon”!