Transit Case Design For 1921ac

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 RichFitz

RichFitz

• Regular Group
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 08:20 PM

Well after thinking about it for awhile I decided to break down and buy a nice case for my 1921AC.

I like the look of the FBI Case but hated the thing tipping over when ever I took the gun out. Also I wanted somewhere to keep copies of the Form 3s and manuals I have for the gun.

My solution for the tipping issue seemed to be solved by Doug Richardson’s “SuperShooter” Case that has legs on the lid, which extend and keep the case from tipping over.

Unfortunately, I called Doug yesterday and discovered he was out of stock with no ETA in sight for the next batch. Great Guy BTW –be thankful that us Thompson guys have people like him around.

I then started looking at modifying an existing New FBI style case with legs when I saw my wife’s Louis Vutton catalog.

user posted image

They had some interesting lid and front opening cases that could be adapted to the FBI style but would not tip over when the gun is removed.

I came up with this basic design for what I call a Thompson transit case-
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

I checked around and for a quantity of 20+ I could probably get these made of high quality materials, brass, leather and velvet for around $450-$500 as illustrated. Actually Lousi Vutton does custom work, It might be funny to have them make an original one off!

Questions- What do you think of the idea and design? What would you include /and or change?

Richard Fitzpatrick

#2 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts
  • Interests:Full time gunsmith who loves Thompsons, 35+ years experience.

Posted 29 July 2003 - 08:31 PM

Looks good to me!

#3 The1930sRust

The1930sRust

Respected Member and Board Donor

• 1939 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, obviously. Proud West Hurley 1928 and Savage M1 owner, cave explorer, and KSP trooper (retired). Also interested in 1920-1930 American history. I appreciate all Thompson models and their owners.

Posted 29 July 2003 - 08:36 PM

The drawings themselves are a work of art. I can only imagine the finished product! Please keep us all up to date...

#4 Ron A

Ron A

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:Collector of Thompson guns & items<br>Colt single actions<br>Native American items - pre 1900

Posted 29 July 2003 - 08:39 PM

This looks good - I would be interested - save wear on my current cases.

#5 SamG

SamG

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 116 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 08:44 PM

Very nice! cool.gif

#6 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3455 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 08:49 PM

When you say "FBI Case," you really mean "Police Case", since the drum is situated on the far right where the stock would be on an "FBI Case". Naturally, a design created by a government agency would be ergonomically challenged since the weight was not distributed evenly as in the "Police Case". When can you put this superior design into production? Do not foget the correct color interior for a "Police Case". Since an original case has sold for just over $1,000 (even if some originals try to command over $2,500), and there are companies that already make repros, I would say that you would need to kep the costs under $600.

#7 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4573 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 29 July 2003 - 09:14 PM

Looks very nice. I would be interested if they are made. Great detail on the blue prints. The price doesn't sound to bad for the quality work either. Keep us informed.

#8 LIONHART

LIONHART

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 2785 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons of course. All Manufactures and Models.

Posted 29 July 2003 - 11:29 PM

Nice Drawings. Very well done. Wishful thinking though. I mean on the price. I can't see a Case like that being built for customers at the price you mentioned, and still making money. Much more intricate than a FBI/Police Case. At least $700.00 or more..

#9 SecondAmend

SecondAmend

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 610 posts

Posted 30 July 2003 - 05:08 PM

Would you consider providing for 30 round stick magazines?

#10 PK.

PK.

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 1567 posts
  • Interests:Full time gunsmith who loves Thompsons, 35+ years experience.

Posted 30 July 2003 - 08:18 PM

looks to me like there is pleanty of room for xxx mags.

#11 Grey Crow

Grey Crow

RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1077 posts
  • Interests:Thompson Submachine guns, computers, reptiles.

Posted 30 July 2003 - 09:52 PM

Fantastic! I like it, I would however make a small change in the layout for carry balance. With the FBI case I own, it hangs back towards the receiver.

With the design of your case being as it is custom, I would move all of the magazines toward the muzzel and the thin part of the stock facing the back of the receiver.

Just my .02

#12 TommyGunner

TommyGunner

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:The Tommy Gun (duh)
    Fedora Linux
    Hunting

Posted 31 July 2003 - 05:59 AM

Great idea! Looks good to me. smile.gif

#13 Zamm

Zamm

Respected Member & Artist

• Regular Group
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Thompsons, and all their goodies!<br>Obsolete Victorian Photomechanical processes,<br>Etching, Engraving and all Printmaking,<br>Entomology, specializing in Coleoptera,<br>Arachnology, specializing in Theraphosidae.

Posted 31 July 2003 - 06:08 AM

Really Nice, Very "Retro" look to it, like the firearm itself.

"Distinct gentleman's carrying case for a weapon of discriminating taste!"
Here Here!

Zamm

#14 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts
  • Interests:Guns (Thompsons, Lugers, and Walthers mostly), History, Politics, Education, Nature, etc.

Posted 31 July 2003 - 08:53 AM

I like it too! biggrin.gif It is very distinguished looking, so far; I can't wait to see the finished product. cool.gif
Regards, Walter

#15 RichFitz

RichFitz

• Regular Group
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 06:38 PM

Ok I will move the mags and stock compartments around for better weight distrubtion.

Do not foget the correct color interior for a "Police Case"

What is the correct color for the inside and outside?

I was going to do one in Dark Brown Leather sides, Light brown trim, Light brown velvet insides and Shiny Brass hardware.

The other I was going to do all black leather and hadware with gray or grayblue velvet inside.

I am tempted to do bright red leather one for for some reason (JE Hoover? version)

looks to me like there is pleanty of room for xxx mags.

I didn't even think of that -I will make sure it will fit them too.

The guy building these says the handle can hold 50lbs is that enough?

In any case I will have a few of these made up and see what they are like - Any one have an scale dummpy 1921 I can borrow for scale?

#16 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3455 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 08:17 PM

Rich,
Most Police cases came with light purple or blue interior, but there are limited examples of originals with black, green and light gray colors. Exterior color is really black. Don't forget the metal corners and side latches.