Mag for Silenced Sten ?

I have 2 Sten mags coming from a french resistance cache discovered about 15 years ago: they have a letter S painted on them. Could this be a specific marking for a mag containing subsonic ammo for the MK2S ? Did the british even use subsonic ammo as the barrel was perforated to reduce bullet velocity ?

Sten magazine S marked-1.jpg

• Upvote 1

Annihilator,

It's conjecture at this point, but I like your hypothesis. It's hard think of a reason to mark individual magazines like that. Does anyone know of British WWII subsonic ammunition? I think I'll put out a note on the IAA forum to see if anyone there knows...

Perhaps one of our British members here may be able to provide an answer. I'll also take a look at my Laidler book, and see if he mentions it.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

As far as I'm aware, all the 9mm ammo was made to the same spec, no subsonic ammo was made for the standard MKII S STEN. However, I can't vouch for the SOE Silenced STEN with the CISA silencer so its possible that other, non standard contract 9mm ammo may have been purchased for these (But I doubt it).

• Upvote 1