- - - - -

Savage Reweld Question(s)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 v188

• Regular Group
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 09:46 PM

It looks like I've finally bought my Thompson. I got a pretty good price ($10K/ who knows?) on a Savage M1A1 reweld. It was welded by a guy in PA pre-86, don't recall his name right now. So it's not a Pearl. Looks pretty nice in the detailed photos.

Any thoughts on my purchase? Did I over purchase, about right? Now I need to find some more mags.

I've got several NFA weapons, but this purchase really is getting me psyched!!!! I've wanted a Tommy a long time.

Thanks guys,

A new guy to the board.

#2 hawksnest

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1041 posts
  • Interests:Class III weapons

Posted 02 March 2004 - 10:38 PM

Who is listed as the manufacturer on your form 4?

#3 John Jr

John Jr

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1956 posts
  • Interests:Plenty

Posted 02 March 2004 - 10:39 PM

Is that the one I just saw on Sturmgewehr?:

NFA Market Board

WTS:Thompson M1A1, Reising, Jap Type 99

Posted By: BIG JOHN (pcp01513089pcs.nwshfr01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: 3/1/04 23:39

WWII Thompson M1A1, 45ACP, military Savage (re-weld, BUT NOT C&R gun), w/1928 removeable rear butt stock. Runs great, comes with four 30 round mags, WWII carry case, WWII cleaning kit and Barricks cleaning rod. VERY GOOD condition on a Form 3 in PA....$ 10,500 +HIS.

WWII Reising H&R Manufactured M50 (C&R Eligible gun), 45 ACP, w/ M55 barrrel, w/ 20 round H&R mag. Runs great, other mags available w/ purchase of Reising, EXCELLENT Condition (one of the nicest I have seen) on a Form 3 in PA....$3,650 +HIS.

WWII Japanese Type 99 LMG professionally converted to (.308), (C&R Eligible gun), IN MINT CONDITION. Comes w/ original 30 round Japanese Type 99 mag, original Jap Type 99 (2.5x) power scope w/ carry case, and bayonet. Flash hider, bipod, and rear mono-pod all intact and fully functional. Runs like a clock in inexpensive .308 (Can be easily returned to original JAP 7.7mm caliber, but why would you want to ??). This is one of THE nicest Japanese Type 99's I have ever seen. (95-97 % condition). ALL NUMBERS MATCHING and in MINT CONDITION.....on a Form 3 in PA..$ 13,000 + HIS.

Shipping plus insurance additional for out of state shipment
PIC's available to serious buyers (Please, no picture collectors)

Thanks for looking !
John Barone
610 589-9884

If you picked it up for 10K, that would be a tad high to my way of thinking for a cut gun thats not C&R. Dont worry, it will soon be worth 30K (10 years or so)

Take care

John Jr

Edited to add this:

http://www.whatacountry.com/ (search for Thompson)

#4 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3526 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 10:48 PM

Other then the reweld deal, I would like to see how someone customized the receiver on an M1A1 for a 1928 buttstock. Could this be a WH type kit?

#5 First Sergeant

First Sergeant

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 763 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 11:11 PM

I had contact with the seller (John) who advised the re-weld receiver was attached to a "Savage" lower. He no doubt was refering to a 1928A1 lower. He did indicate it was a good shooter and that the upper and lower "were pretty tight." I had always thought the two would slide together and function but the fit would be loose. He advises that is not the case with this set-up.

sounds like you got a good shooter !!

Enjoy !