What Makes A M1928 An A1?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 Fencer

Fencer

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 160 posts
  • Interests:WWII U.S. military weapons, Air to Air combat. I was involved with a game called AirWarrior, doing some work on the two published versions of the game. I love the P-51 Mustang, and used to operate a website devoted to photos of various P-51s I took over the years. Basset Hounds Rule!

Posted 07 March 2004 - 08:48 PM

And the P-400 was a P-39 "Airacobra" originally meant for England. The English realized what pieces of crap the P-39s were
and declined to accept them. The Army Air Force took them, numbered them P-400's and sent them off to the
South East Asia theater, AKA Guadacanal. They had a 20mm Hispano rather than the standard 37mm cannon in the nose.

#42 Bob

Bob

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 697 posts

Posted 08 March 2004 - 11:52 AM

Yea, the P-39/400 was the "commercial" export model that Bell tried to sell to the UK for air combat.

An old friend worked for Bell during that period and said the P-39 with the 37mm was a hoot to shoot. Said you would line up on a ground target, loose the hammer, and big holes would open up in the ground. He said the shortcomings of the design were the low power engine and the torque whip from the shaft. He said it could be a surprise during air combat, it could change the rate of roll during left and right bank when throttling up or down during the maneuver. He said it was outstanding in the ground attack, tank busting mode, for it was very stable.

#43 colt21a

colt21a

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3465 posts
  • Interests:Whatever we can do in Life

Posted 08 March 2004 - 10:08 PM

i liked the p-51 d >johnny cloud the navajo ace............ron

#44 Fencer

Fencer

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 160 posts
  • Interests:WWII U.S. military weapons, Air to Air combat. I was involved with a game called AirWarrior, doing some work on the two published versions of the game. I love the P-51 Mustang, and used to operate a website devoted to photos of various P-51s I took over the years. Basset Hounds Rule!

Posted 09 March 2004 - 05:49 AM

I always thought that was one of the neatest looking planes, with so many innovative features, many of which are universal today. But I doubt if you will ever see one of these planes maintained in restored flying condition. The drive train makes that an impossible job. NAPA doesn't sell the parts.

Well the CAF has a P-39 in flyable condition (CAF P-39)and so does the Kalamazoo Air Museum (Air Zoo Bird). I have seen both of them over the years. The P-63 owned by Frank Borrman won Oshkosh's best warbird award a few years ago. They are still out there.

#45 Fencer

Fencer

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 160 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 07:36 PM

The Kalamazoo Air Museum is a wonderful museum. Not affiliated with the military, but they have a special relationship with
the Navy. You will find a great deal of Navy aircraft there. Only place where I have went and seen 5 F-14s on the ramp at one time,
four flyables and their museum bird. Go in July when they have their "Air Zoo" airshow. Small numbers (relative to Dayton) of people
and lots of aircraft. Evidently (having checked their website) they are having a grand re-opening this May. Musta did some remodeling.

Yeager flew the P-39 before shipping out over seas with the 357th FG and LIKED IT. That if anything says the man is not all right
in the head. laugh.gif

I think Yeager once tied a thompson smg to an Armadillo.. or shot an armadillo.. or something... (pathetic topic save attempt). blink.gif

Did I mention my wife's dad's WWII 40mm Anti-Aircraft gun crew had one thompson? (whew) rolleyes.gif

#46 LSU Tiger

LSU Tiger

Long Time Member

• Board Donor
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:Military weapons from the 1700's to present day, pipe smokig and collecting, straight razor shaving, collecting WW II US uniforms, weapons, and equipment. Thompsons, especially!

Posted 10 March 2004 - 08:38 PM

I'd read somewhere that the Navy had Thompsons as the M1928, but the Army wanted nothing to do with the Navy, and designated them as M1928A1 just to be different. blink.gif

#47 Arthur Fliegenheimer

Arthur Fliegenheimer

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3453 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 10:52 AM

LSU,
I think Colt Navy TSMG serial #3873, a prototype marked 1928- A1 , (with vertical grip), kills that theory. But it does show that they were fooling around with the A1 designation before the standard issued horizontal grip Savage WWII guns.

#48 Mike Hammer

Mike Hammer

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 768 posts
  • Interests:Travel, sun worshiper, margaritas, hot chicks, painting, scuba diving, movies, collecting movie memorabilia and autographs, guns, hot chicks, micro-beers, hot chicks, and did I say hot chicks?

Posted 13 March 2004 - 11:17 AM

Yea, the P-51 Mustang, a truly great fighter. My pal Mickey Spillane was a Mustang flight instructor during WWII, he said the six 50cal. machine-guns was hoot to shoot, as he says: "real firepower" ! At 86 he still has his pilot's liscense, although he doesn't fly much anymore, he sold his personal Mustang years ago, he used to own a couple of Thompsons too. So I guess guns and planes will always go hand-in-hand! biggrin.gif

Mike Hammer

#49 TD.

TD.

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2882 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 12:47 PM

Arthur,
I have heard of this particular 28 Navy from SQ. Do you have a picture of the receiver markings?