Two Quick Questions

Question 1 : Hopefully, I will get my sbr Thompson completed early next week. Looking in the FAQ, and having remembered reading about it in much earlier threads, the issue of engraving my name and address on the rifle. I know that I have to do it, and the depths according to the FAQ. What I was wondering, to those who have done this already, where is a good place on the receiver to have this done. I was hoping for some suggestions as to keep it unnoticable, but still where it needs to be. I have access to a laser engraver at work that will do this, so this is not a problem.

Question 2 : With all of us hoping the idiotic AWB will sunset when it is supposed to, will the regulations on building a semi - automatic rifle, legaly, out of some of the kits available today decease. Example, if I were to build a CAR 15 now I cannot use a pre ban upper on a post ban receiver. Will this change? I was just curious.

Thanks,

Scott

I put the same question to the local ATF. Answer - only receivers made after the ban could be used. AF15 receivers made during the ban still could not be used with a telescoping stock, etc: In other words there would be "post ban and pre ban and banned" I asked about large cap mags marked "law enforcement only" and was advised the public still could not own these mags - ever.

If you think its screwed up now - wait. I don't think we will see the ban reinstated until after the election and then it will sail thru the House and Senate in a heart beat...

As to engraving the name on the SBR - PK did mine just behind the comp on the bottom of the Bbl. it has to be 1/16 in size.

I don't disagree it BS - that's why I posted the response. Not unlike other times I have asked ATF agents questions - you will get a different answer from each agent.. In writting is the only way and then we have seen them go sideways on written positions.

Answer to question #1:

Turn your gun upside down. There is a flat spot ON THE RECEIVER, just below (or in this case just above) the forward drum slot (on a model 1927A1). This is where I had my information lasered. This spot keeps it from being seen and detracting from the firearm. As I remember the law or rule, the info has to be on the RECEIVER. Otherwise, I think a BATFE agent could whiz on your parade if they wanted to (and if they knew the law). Only problem is I moved about 3 months after I got my stamp for the SBR conversion, therefore the only thing correct is my name. Just another stupid law for us law abiding citizens.

I hope this helps.

Mario Scarpino

I guess I will wait until we all see if the AWB dies it most deserved death to see about the building process. I believe the AWB has been the bigest bunch of horse manure to come out of congress. The only difference between a pre-ban and a post-ban receiver is the serial number and time of manufacture. I guess some senators have nothing better to do with their time than to screw those of us who like firearms.

Mario, I was thinking of that place on my Thompson too. I will look at my rifle when I get it back to determine the best spot. I agree, another stupid law for us law abiding citizens. This is like our ccw laws. Local buisnesses post signs stating no concealed weapons alowed. I then wonder if they are that afraid of law abiding citizens who go through the lawful process to get their license. They are not the people they need to worry about, it is the ones who do not care about the law. Oh well, I am rambling.

Thanks fellas,

Scott