• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Deputy 89C6

Deputy 89C6

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 09:01 PM

You've all heard tales such as the little old lady who advertised the "1963 Chevy" which turned out to be a mint vette....well it sort of really happened to me today.

I was drinking free coffee in the local gunshop and talking guns, when of course my favorite subject the tommy gun came up. I didn't pay any particular attention to one of the "loafers" in the shop, but when I left he followed me outside and asked if I had a tommy gun. When I replied affirmative, he said that he had a couple of tommy gun mags that his deceased brother had brought back from the Navy in WW II and wondered if I'd like to buy them as he'd never have any use for them.

I asked what kind they mags they were and he said "the round kind". Now, trying to keep composed I said sure, I'd take a look at them and he said to follow him to his house. Upon arrival he went to a filing cabinet in his garage and produced two pretty nice L drums. I asked what he wanted for them and he said "how about $150.00 dollars for the pair"

My wife said I just bought myself eternal damnation. I say...yahoo!!!!!

C6

#2 dallasboy_75287

dallasboy_75287

• Regular Group
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 09:13 PM

yep, you're going to helll.....

#3 TN.Frank

TN.Frank

• Regular Group
  • 160 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, firearms, Hockey, Drag Racing,Hockey,Bull Riding, and Hockey.

Posted 12 March 2004 - 10:22 PM

I don't see anything wrong, he got rid of two usless drum mags and you got a very good deal on something that you could use. cool.gif

#4 Deputy 89C6

Deputy 89C6

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 92 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 12:01 PM

Wow...they both work flawlessly.....just finished running 100 rounds through each. I never knew what fun I was missing by being to cheap to procure a drum.

Quick...am I standing in a beam of light?

C6

#5 Deputy 89C6

Deputy 89C6

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 92 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 12:17 PM

Took them both down cleaned and regreased last night...thanks.

C6

#6 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4627 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 13 March 2004 - 12:47 PM

Great find! And both work perfect. Get a greaser that PhilOhio mentioned and have it on hand. What markings are on the drums? Names and the such.

#7 JimFromFL

JimFromFL

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1877 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 03:12 PM

How about selling me one for $300 this way you doubled your money and still have a drum for yourself. cool.gif

#8 Nick Iannamico

Nick Iannamico

Founding Admin

• 906 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 03:52 PM

Sounds like the kid who bought a Nolan Ryan card for $12.00 instead of $1200 hehe, good find!!

#9 Walter63a

Walter63a

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1430 posts
  • Interests:Guns (Thompsons, Lugers, and Walthers mostly), History, Politics, Education, Nature, etc.

Posted 13 March 2004 - 09:17 PM

Congratulations Deputy, on your rescue of two important artifacts of WWII and Thompson history! biggrin.gif They could have become neglected, corroded, lost in a flood, or 'confiscated for the good of society', by the gun grabbing liberals. Now they rest safely and securely in a place of honor in your gun safe. That was a great story! blink.gif smile.gif cool.gif Regards, Walter

#10 Ron Mills

Ron Mills

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1261 posts
  • Interests:All Thompson models and accessories

Posted 13 March 2004 - 09:19 PM

Well, I won't call you "Deputy Dawg" for that transaction, and hey, everybody's happy. The man got his money, and got the goods! Once in a while, things need to go your way. A well-rehearsed "poker face" helps during those transactions! I only did that once, on a whole big bunch of Thompson canvas.

Way to go!