• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gunner

Gunner

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 282 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 11:33 PM

I just received a spare 1928 rear grip from Sarco. It's different from the one that came on my gun (a WH 28) and from most of the rear grips I've seen -- which are rounded, with no sharp edges. This new grip, which has the "M" on top, has sharp edges on front. By sharp edges, I mean the contour of the front of the grip toward the bottom is kind of "V-shaped." Don't know if I'm describing this well, but it's kind of a zig-zag controur where your last 2 fingers rest. Does anybody know if this is a late or early variation of the 28 rear grip? Thanks.

#2 gijive

gijive

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2415 posts
  • Interests:Thompson SMG, WWII, Firearms in general.

Posted 14 March 2004 - 08:42 AM

Gunner,

I did a post with pictures on the old list showing differences in the reag grip styles. According to American Thunder at least three contractors made the WWII rear grips. Savage, Strombeck-Becker and a company called Dittenborn (sp?). All three grips slightly varied in contour, so the shape of your "M" coded grip (Strombeck-Becker) wouldn't be considered early or late, just whatever contractor's grip happened to be put on the gun at the time of assembly.

I have noticed that some Savage made grips tend to be fatter and the Streombeck-Becker grips have a slightly more pronounced rear area, but are thinner near the top where the web of the thumb and fingers would fit.

#3 Gunner

Gunner

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 282 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 09:15 AM

Thanks, GI. I'll check out the old post.

#4 gijive

gijive

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2415 posts
  • Interests:Thompson SMG, WWII, Firearms in general.

Posted 14 March 2004 - 11:41 AM

Gunner,

The pictures on the old list are not there anymore. I have a new computer and the pictures were on my old one through the AOL website. I believe I deleted them some time ago, sorry.

I can send you photos of different grip styles in the future if you are interested.