Off Topic, But Where?

A friend of mine has a Beretta M38 and was wondering if some of the recently advertised I.M.I +P+ 9mm would be okay to shoot in this firearm?

Regular 9mm works okay, but sometimes he gets a double-tap when he pulls the single shot trigger, and we are thinking this might be due to the bolt not cycling back far enough for sear engagement. it is not a persistent problem, but if he could get the +P+ as a good price, it eliminates the problem, and would not cause undue harm to his nice firearm (all original & all matching) would it be worth it?

Thanks

HE HAS TRIED SEVERAL DIFFERNT BRANDS AND BULLET WEIGHTS. AMERICAN EAGLE, WINCHESTER, 'AMERICAN' (THE COPPER CLADDED BULLET),EVEN SOME SURPLUS MILITARY. IT DOESN'T SEEM TO MATTER WHICH BRAND IT IS.UNFORTUNATELY THIS IS THE ONLY 9MM SUB WE HAVE ACCESS TO. WE HAVE PLENTY OF .45'S (A REISING, ACOUPLE OF GREASE GUNS, & OF COURSE SEVERAL THOMPSONS). I DO HAVE A 9MM KIT FOR MY GREASE GUN, BUT I DON'T KNOW IF THAT WOULD REALLY PROVE ANYTHING SINCE IT IS NOT AN ORIGINAL UNIT, AND THAT GUN WASN'T DESIGNED INITIALLY FOR 9MM. I GUESS WE SHOULD JUST GO OUT AND PURCHASE ANOTHER 9MM CLASS III

THAT IS WHAT WE WERE THINKING PHIL, MUST SMG DO NEED A LITTLE MORE UMPHH...AND WITHTHIS ONE BEING A WELL MACHINED GUN AND NOT THIN STAMPINGS PRESSURES AND SUCH SHOULD NOT BE A PROBLEM.

I BELIEVE THERE WAS A SMALL (LIGHT) AMOUNT OF SURFACE RUST IN THE CHAMBER WHEN HE GOT IT..(THE LITTLE OLD WIDOW LADY DUG IT OUT OF THE CLOSET AND ASKED OUR LOCAL SHERIFF IF HE KNEW OF ANY ONE WHO WOULD LIKE IT). AFTER A CAREFULE SCRUBBING AND A LITTLE FIRING THE RUST SEEMED TO HAVE DISAPPEARED, BUT THERE MAY STILL BE JUST A MINUTE AMOUNT IN THERE, JUST ENOUGH POSSIBLY TO INTERFERE EVERY NOW AND AGAIN. AS FAR AS THE MAINSPRING I AM GUESSING IT IS ORIGINAL OR ONE FROM A PARTS KIT, I KNOW HE BOUGHT ONE (PARTS KIT) FROM INTER-ORDNANCE..I WILL HAVE TO SEE IF PERHAPS WOLFF SPRINGS MAKE ONE FOR THIS FIREARM, I AM GOING TO ORDER A SPRING KIT FROM THEM FOR MY REISING WHEN THE PAPERWORK COMES IN.

Bullet weight may have a lot to do with reliability here. I use mostly Russian steel-cased 124 gr. 9mm in my subguns. It works very well in the MP40 especially, and even has the same slightly conical bullet shape of the original German wartime ammo.

I'd try this before I looked any closer at the other factors that can effect reliability in any subgun.

In experimenting, I found that 115 gr. fires with a very slow cyclic rate, with occasional failures to feed. 90 gr. cycled, but the bolt would not move to the rear far enough to pick up the sear, and the gun went "put, put, put" until the magazine was empty.

Supposedly, in order to extract the utmost performance from the Beretta 1938A, a special cartridge known as the 9mm M38 was issued for it. This was identified by a green annular ring/primer, and was issued in 10 round chargers that could be loaded into the magazine using a special loading tool.

The labels for WWII Italian 9mm are labeled:

CARTUCCE CAL. 9MM.PER MOSCHETTO AUTOM. BERETTA M. 38SCIOLTES p. A GIULIO FIOCCHI - LECCO

Your mileage may vary.

I'm thinking that this is a pretty topical set of posts for the TSMG board. When one moves to bullet weights of much less than 230 grs. for the .45 acp, the same kind of problems tend to crop up.

• 3 weeks later...

We went shooting this past weekend and as long as he stayed away from the 115 grain bullets and at least up to the 124-125 grain bullets no double tapping on semi...That must be what is was, the lighter bullets just were not generating enough recoil for the sear to engage sometimes.

Like I said it only happened on semi, so when he shot on FA the built up momentum by the time he release the trigger was enough to engage the sear....Now if I can just get my Reising to function properly (see Reising board for that story).